Childproofing a tool for the lazy?

Did you go all-out get safety caps for everthing, cover every corner, lock the toilet?Just curious. I see danger around every corner when my LO starts to crawn and eventually walk. My mom is the "that which doesn't kill them makes them stronger" type and seems to think I'm just to lazy to constantly watch her and check that she doesn't hurt herself. She ran after me all the time. Do you think all these neat inventions has made us lazy? Do they cut into our child-mother time (compared to our parents' times). If so, that can't be good, can it?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 10:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. I think that you are trying your best to protect your kid. You can turn around and your child that is just starting to walk, teeters, and then boom....head on the corner- split. Now I personally won't be putting bumpers on everything, because I find it just to be a little excessive. I grew up in the atmosphere of "live and learn" so when I crawled up the stairs, I inevitable fell down once, but you know...I never did it again? Obviously there are limits to this, but I was kid that had to learn for myself. I didn't not touch the stove because my mom said it was hot, I didn't touch it because I had already touched it and knew it was hot. (my sister just listened..) Obviously I think there is a time and pace..outlets being one of them....but everyone has their degrees of protectiveness....
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 10:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think childproofing should really only be used when the child is too young to understand the relationship between cause and effect. After that, childproofing should either be completely eliminated, or it should be used as a supplement to teaching the child basic safety.

With that being said, I barely did any childproofing. I put the blind cords out of reach and I blocked access to the litter box. Everything else, I was able to teach my son to be safe about without going and buying a special device or lock.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No I look at it as an extra precaution. We are not perfect and I would prefer that extra barrier in case I get distracted by housework or another little one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i didn't/don't use them.... it's fine if people do. can't be TOO cautious, right? BUT, how can kid become healthily independent, when mommy or daddy is just hoovering?
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think they make parents paranoid.  Not everything has to be bubble wrapped.  I'm with your mom on this, but I DON'T follow my kids around.  They learn to stay out of stuff.

The only baby proofing we ever did was to keep the bathroom door closed (solved about a dozen problems right there), put locks on the cabinet under the sink and put a gate at the bottom of the stairs.  That's it.  I had 3 kids under 3.  When the youngest of them could be trusted to not climb up the stairs at every convenience the gate came down.  When my 4yo was a baby we lived in this 2nd fl. apt.  Our babyproofing consisted of gating her into the living room.  That was it.  We did nothing to the living room itself except keep the big kids' toys picked up.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have twins and they have mastered the cabinet locks! (they are almost 2, but a look ahead for you) I do have the knob covers on, but in my case, I have 2 to change and mine are devious little monsters sometimes! lol I literally can walk into the bedroom to change one of them and the other will be in my utensil drawer pulling stuff out! If I didn't have the knob covers, they could easily unlock the door and get out of the house or get into the 1 cabinet I can keep them out of and keep my cleaning supplies in! There are baby gates on my oldest DS's bedroom door and my bedroom because they just get into EVERYTHING! I'm sorry, I am not lazy, I'm outnumbered! lol
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sorry, typo. I meant crawl, not crawn
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Depends. There are a lot of things in our daily lives that keep us safe, but they don't make us lazy. You can't always be there right away, and sometimes accidents do happen. I wasn't the kind of mom who childproofed everything, but I did keep door knob covers on, and I kept our kitchen gated off. This was more to save my sanity than anything.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I see usefullness in some of the baby-proofing things but some are a bit crazy. I latch cabinets with cleaners but not pots and pans because I see nothing wrong with kids playing with stuff that cant hurt them or be easily broken.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• the only thing i put a lock on was under the sink with the chemicals. i dont think im lazy for it. just precautious.
    hlmommy

Answer by hlmommy at 10:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2010