• In the Spotlight:

Came across this interesting statistic....

I wanted to get some opinions on this fact:

"According to the National Cener for Children in Poverty, Boys without fathers are twice as likely to drop out of school, twice as likely to go to jail, and nearly four times as likely to need treatment for emoional and behavioral problems as boys with fathers"

Do we as a society underestimate the importance of a fathers role in our childrens lives?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 4:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• stats are funky because you can make them say what ever you want by being careful who you ask. I'm not saying that children don't need fathers just that I wouldn't base it on these stats. Furthermore: I also agree with the above statements about custody issues. Why not consider both side and decide then who the best choice is.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't think we under estimate the importance of that, I think that people under estimate the importance of trust, love, and happiness. Instead, majority of people give into greed, money, sex etc. which results in problems like that.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Maybe it's only the ones in bad areas since the stats are from that particular center. If we lived in a bad area, as a single mom, I would worry about the influences around my DD and Maybe two parents can keep a handle that better.
    Lorelai

Answer by Lorelai at 4:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• yes
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 4:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think there has to be more effecting this group of people then just not having fathers. I'm not saying that fathers aren't important, but I don't think they are the only contributing factor on how your kids turn out.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• First I'd like to say I absolutely believe this information is true. Look around ...talk someone who works in a prison they will tell you how many of these ppl have never even seen a positive male role model much less a father.

The only other thing I wanted to add is that a statistic is not necessarily a fact. Many people, companies, researchers can twist the numbers to say what it is they want it to say.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't know anyone who underestimates the importance of fathers in the home. I think a lot of cases of fatherless boys are where a teen gets pregnant - no marriage follows because there might not have been an actual relationship with the father of the baby. Also husbands who leave their wife and family due to drug addiction or alcoholism. A mother who is beaten and abused by the father of her child. A husband/father who is in jail. There are many, many sad stories of horrible circumstances where fathers just aren't there. And unfortunately the cycle seems to repeat itself in the next generation because it is all the child knows.

I think most people know how vitally important it is for a child to not be abandoned by either parent.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You have to take into account that statistics have many variables. You have to take into account a majority of the "type" of mother these boys come from. You have to think about a lot of these boys are coming from mother's who don't know who the father is or got pregnant by some loser in the first place. It doesn't matter what parent you are missing or if you are missing any at all. It's about the quality of parenting that you do have. These statistics are off because of the type of mothers. A lot of boys that live in under privileges homes do not have a father. Statistics also show that under privileged people are more likely to commit crimes (violent and non-violent). So really, it has very little to do with the male role-model issue. It's about the quality of parenting they are left with and the environment they grow up in.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have to add this other stat here... due to the comment from DDry....

"having never been boys, women often have only a vague notion of how to go about rearing one."

I find that to be true. I have two boys who like dirt, rocks, sticks and punching things. That's not my thing! I can't relate to that! I find myself suppressing their innate desire to be a boy... which isn't fair to them. They get in trouble for being dirt,y punching and throwing rocks. Sure, they probably should, but in the right setting it's okay. My husband will take them to the field near our house where they can play in dirt and throw rocks and wrestle, whereas I tend to discilpine them. In the right setting, those things are okay. If they are never in the right settting, how can they learn when it is/is not okay? Don't we end up supressing it entirely?
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 5:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• To look at the other side here - this is the center for children in poverty. This is little boys raised in poverty by a single Mom. Surely there are tons of other factors being left out -- are they saying that boys raised in poverty that had both parents do better? Who are they comparing to? How many siblings did they have? I don't believe that being raised by a single Mom is the only cause. Poverty in itself is a cause of many problems, it continues a negative cycle. This has been the case and been documented many times. A single parent household is more likely to be in poverty due to one income and not two. Single women are even *more* likely to be in poverty because women statistically make less then men for the same job. Women are more likely to have custody of their kids. There are too many misleading things about this statistic.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2008