how do you make your chicken & dumplings?

just thinking about jazzing mine up...suggestions??

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 10:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I love SL too, and Paula Deen.Girl! Add some butter to those dumplings!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:19 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I boil a whole chicken to make stock. Separate the chicken from the bones and then add it back to the stock along with carrots, celery, onion, turnips, and parsley. Let simmer so that flavors come together. Either use baking mix of "from-scratch" ingredients to mix your dough. Drop by spoonfuls into stew at a low rolling boil. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes and then covered for 10 minutes. Don't overcook because dumplings will burn from the inside out and become rubbery. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Are you asking about a southern type of dumpling with flat dumplings and a heavy white gravy, or are you asking about the dutch style with a clear broth and biscuit type dumplings? I always assume it's the southern creamy style.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think Ihave about 4-5 different ways of making it. I add a can of cream of chicken soup, and a couple bouillon cubes, sometimes some fresh sage from the herb garden. Usually though, a flash roast of a whole chicken gives me the best stock and I don't put the chicken in the pot until just before I serve it, that way the juices are still in the chicken meat

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I boil the chicken take it off the bones and buoillon- make dumplings with bisquick and milk drop them in and add some frozen mixed veggies, pepper and salt
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• *don't make the dumplings TOO big...and let it boil/cook for about 20 min or so-then I add the veggies
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• boil a whole chicken in chicken stock an water, than pull the meat off the bones why im doing that i make my noodles/dumplings let them dry and through them in when soup is to a boil slow it down let simmer a little an dig in sometimes i put in some vegis other times not.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• southern..is there any other way???? LOL! not in my house! i've only got two kinds of bibles in my house...one i study for xtian living and one labeled 'Southern Living'. LMBO!
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2010