how to protect yourself in the hospital if baby comes early

I know we can't predict when baby comes. We all hope for full term healthy babies, but sometimes, health issues arise and babies come earlier than planned. I would imagine the best thing would be to go to the hospital, especially if the baby was coming around 32 - 36 weeks.... in hopes to stop labor or make sure your premie has the care it needs.

So, if it comes to happen, how can you be sure what they do in the hospital is necessary, or just convenient? I feel like I am fairly educated in a 'normal' birth.. but when there is a risky situation, when are we sure that a c-section would benefit the baby/ us instead of vaginal birth? Would induction EVER be necessary (if you are already in labor, I cant see why it would). Can anyone one think of anythng else?

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 11:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First thing that comes to mind is inducing preterm for someone with pre-eclampsia. If the mom's life is at risk, then they will do what they can to save both mom and baby.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I know this. I mean, if I go into labor ON MY OWN early.
    thank you though.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• good question, I wonder this myself, I have done natural birth with both my babies, and wouldnt want to do a c section, or even induce labor unless it was absolutly necessary. But when the professionals are telling you its necessary, how do you know differently. I think the best thing to do is make sure that you find a doctor that you can trust, that has a low rate of c sections, and that you have discussed how you would like your birth to go, and they are on the same page. That way if the time does come where they feel it necessary to intervine you can trust that they are doing it for the health of you and the baby and not as a convinience.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:10 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This is my THIRD> I love my midwife, I am just afraid of L and D docs.. I am already dealing wih prodromal labor and have 7 weeks to go.. I am not necessarily anticipating an early labor, but my gut instinct tells me to be prepared.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Will your midwife be able to go to the hospital for you as an advocate for you. She will be able to tell you if she feels you need to follow the advice of the doctors. Do you trust her that much?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i have had 4 home births and one hospital birth. my hospital birth was a 32 week old preemie.
    the issues we faced were...do we or do we not allow antibiotics to be administered, just in case the pre term labor was the result of an infection.
    we did not allow any vaccinations, they did put the silver on the eyes, really because we were too shocked to stop it before it happened. they wanted to do an ultrasound on his head...mainly for research i believe. we denied that. we allowed a chest xray, oxygen and caffeine to stimulate the nervous system. the caffeine my dh and i were at odds about.
    those were our issues. my preemie had breathing issues, and i think he really needed more time with me.
    breastfeeding was extremely difficult in the nicu too. they are so concerned with weight gain...we put breastfeeding on hold, went with the formula and got our baby home fast!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had to be induced because my water was leaking but hadn't completely broken. They were worried about infection and the baby not having enough fluid. Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited awhile to see if my water broke on it's own though.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• continued!
    with my preemie, he was born within minutes of arriving in the l & d room.
    after about 4 pushes the stupid dr. called for the vacuum! i pushed my baby out so fast when i heard her say that!
    i would say have a great advocate by your side. my husband is virtually useless when he is scared...i might have been better off having my midwife in there with me, as far as the delivery was concerned, but i am glad my husband saw his son being born!

you can always ask the dr. what the worst case scenario would be if you did not do "x". you can always ask what the alternatives are. actually, if you are in labor, you should not be able to focus on those things, so this may be where a great advocate would come in.

Good Luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do trust my midwife. My biggest concern is that my last labor happened so fast, my midwife and doula almost didnt make it to the hospital! If somehing like that happens again.. I may alone, especially if DH is at work. Takes him 45 minutes to get home. So, I just hope I can be in clear enough mind that I can ask questiosn and not be taken advantage of....

I am hoping for my second natural VBAC, just FYI.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am due to have a waterbirth at home any day now. I have been in prodromal labor patterns for weeks as well, so I feel for you! Hang in there and try to take it as easy as possible.

We have a birth plan in place just in case we would have to go to the hospital. It is in 2 parts...1 for vaginal delivery and 1 for c-section. It is very important that the hospital staff knows that you are in control of your body and your baby and that you are very welll aware of your patient rights, especially when it comes to making informed decisions.

Our midwife would be with us even if we had to transfer care, so we would also have her voice and support if any issues were to arise.

Best wishes to you!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 14, 2010