"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude." Aldous Huxley

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think what it means, is that the smarter & more powerful your mind is...the less likely you are to follow an organized religion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• or maybe, the smarter & more powerful your brain is, the more likely you are to find the "answers" within yourself.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• well i dont know much about Huxley

He was very interested in the metaphysical, he just didn't like organized religions. If you ever read the book Brave New World in school, that's one he wrote.

And yes, it's pretty spot on, I'd say. Community requires compromise. The more you compromise the less you are "allowed" to think for yourself. The more you choose to develop your own philosophies and morals instead of parroting someone else's, the harder it is to assimilate into a likeminded group. (case in point, study all the people around here who like to yell at other people for practicing the same religion and "doing it wrong")
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• "I think what it means, is that the smarter & more powerful your mind is...the less likely you are to follow an organized religion."

If that's true then I think he's showing a close and limited mind. There are many religions- even "organized" ones- that will encourage you to use intelligence and reason to reach conclusions and will discourage blind and mindless faith. IMHO, Huxley's experience with religion was limited to one that demanded blind faith and didn't get to learn that others value and embrace analysis and scrutiny.
    What's interesting is how ignorance and bias can be so easily mistaken for wisdom and insight when another individual is saying something we want to believe.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• what's the question?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• well i dont know much about Huxley, but solitude means "away from people"...so is he saying that the smarter you are the less you need other people's religion to make you happy? like you find your own personal path and thats all you need. cause i agree w/ that.

or is he making a Dawkins type statement that smart ppl dont believe in God? cause that i most definitly dont argree with!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am impressed by the questioner and by some of the answers. 'If I must conform, then I would rather be a hermit." Original minds are normally lacking in other areas and find living among "normals" difficult. Read up on any genius and you will discover, they often lacked common sense or became drug users to cope.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Sorry... lost my internet connection momentarily...

Opinions or insights??? <------------ was question which I did not get to finish asking.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Sounds like an interesting and insightful quote. It's difficult to know what he meant by it when Huxley didn't seem to be a fan of religion.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think there is something to what he said and not necessarily in a good way. I take it to mean that my thoughts would be so above anyone else's that I would prefer to be alone with them then to put them aside and conform to the thoughts and ways of anyone else! It's a rather pompous, self righteous statement in both the religious and human context! It implies that IQ is more relevant than EQ ( emotional quotient) and humility is equated with mental and intellectual weakness. Just some thoughts.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010