Why do you vote the way you do?

When R's and D's are doing the exact same thing and there is no real change why do you continue voting the same way? The only real way to find any change is to throw them all out and seriously vote in someone different!
If you always do what you've always done you're always gonna get what you'v'e always got. Isn't it time to stop voting for the R or the D?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 11:29 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Vote for the person, not the party. Investigate. For the ones in office now, check their voting record. Did they vote the way they said they would when they were campaigning? Do you think they are trying to vote the way their constituents want them to? They are supposed to be our representative. Have they done a good job? If not, vote them out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's not the people that are the problem, it's the system.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:30 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If everyone switches to I or L aren't we still in the same boat with a 2 party system?
    Which party would you recommend?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My philosophy when it comes to representation is this:
    Choose your party/cause/platform
    Get active in knowing the issues your party's stance, and the current candidates in the primaries
    Vote your candidate favorite in the primaries
    Once your party has a candidate in the general election, vote for that candidate even though you may not have chose him in the primaries.
    If you do not have a mission statement or a goal in mind of how and where you want your life in the US to go, then you have no idea how to choose a party.
    Picking the Person is stupid IMO, that person has to fulfill the requirements of fitting into the party that endorses him in the first place. If he doesn't fit that mantra he isn't the candidate. Nobody runs on the ME platform.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I also don't have too high of expectations, it's politics after all.

Actually,isn't it is more than just politics? It's your city.. Your state... Your nation... To lessen the future of our towns, states, and nation with low expectations only gives politicians a free pass, doesn't it?... Which is pretty much how our nation's political structure got this way..  Not much can change for the better with low expectations..... To each their own, I guess...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• jewjew is right... My priority for voting are for the best fiscal responsible/fiscal conservative candidate with experience in private sector business and senior leadership military experience/understanding is a huge plus...
    I voted independent in local elections and the candidate won. I have, in the past, voted ind. in a few state/Federal elections... They did not win. I have also been reluctant to vote 3rd party for the issue of "splitting the vote" thus allowing the least fiscally responsible candidate to prevail.... It's the age old argument of the lesser of 2 evils.... But isn't the lesser of two evils, still evil? Our system is so f'd up, and America is hurting because of it....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I like the analogy of picking a husband to picking a candidate. A woman wants a husband to be this or that. But dates and marries a man they like. And spend the rest of the marriage trying to make him into the husband they thought they wanted before they ever got married.
    The US is trying to do that with Obama, the voters liked him, and have spent 2 years trying to figure out why he isn't doing what they wanted him to do. And as POTUS, now they cannot make him fit into the President they thought they wanted. Remember that age old statement everyone changes after marriage/elections? Not true, it's at that point you finally realize you now have what you courted all along and you cannot change it after the fact.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• there is a marijuana party. a pacifist party. a green party. many communist parties. a nazi party. a working family party. a pansexual peace party. a libertarian national socialist green party. ( might cause some confusion) many socialist parties. There is always a write in.

Until there is a candidate that can WIN on any other party platform, the majority is forced to go R or D. The objective is to win.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:45 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree ducki. But, when it all comes out in the wash, the objective is to win and to win with the candidate that will most likely vote your way the majority of the time. That's where that whole word Representative comes in. I have yet been able to come to the decision that I will cast my vote for a cause or to make a statement, if the result is loss. I like to win.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:47 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• So in answer to your question
    I vote the way I do, because I have never seen a candidate that has the same ideals that I have when it comes to what the party goal is. My goals match the Republican party, so my vote will always be Republican no matter who it is once the primaries are over. Straight ticket, every election. I'm not confused or wishy washy, I know what I want for myself and my lifetime, and no other party would take us in the same direction according to their own mission statements. Seems pretty simple to me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010