What is the best way to teach the alphabet to a toddler who parrots everything back to you?

My three year old knows the letter's but refuses to tell me which one is which. when i ask where is the letter A, he says where is it or letter A and i am getting so frustrated. i try not to let him see it because i don't want him to think that he is doing something however i can't get him to do it the right way. please help me!

PandaLuv2

Asked by PandaLuv2 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We use blocks (with the letters on them and pictures-ex.on one side there's the letter L, on the other a picture of a lion.) We also use the Leap Frog toys and video (The Letter Factory). Try to make it fun. If he's getting frustrated, or if you are, take a break and just play with him. Thats the way kids learn best-through play and fun...oooo and sidewalk chalk too!
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 12:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• First take a deep breath. Not every child learns at the same pace. For example, my son knew his alphabet at 2 1/2 years old. He knew the letter sounds at 3 and was reading at 5. My daughter is 3 and is still learning her letters. They're both intellegent. But when they're toddlers and babies it's not about intellegence as much as it's about development.

Your toddler's brain is still developing. Because of that learning is both difficult and easy. Somethings more so than others in both respects.

Don't worry. Keep practicing with him and encourage him. But don't get upset with him when he doesn't cooperate or doesn't give you the right answer. He'll get there soon enough.

You're doing more than most mother's do. He's going to be ready for school because of you. Just remember to go at his pace. :)
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 12:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I loved fridge phonics by leap frog. Connor really learned alot from those.
    connorsmommy615

Answer by connorsmommy615 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Sing the ABC song to them and yes get the fridge magnets that have the alphabet on them and point to each one as you sing it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• haha...I am only laughing bc we just went through this same thing with my 3 1/2 yo. The first thing I did was break out the flash cards, he was super excited. I laid the letters out in order and went through the ABC's. We also just bought letter and numbers that stick on the tub during the bath...these help my son as I ask him where B is and if he can't remember I might say be is a purple one, then let him go through a trial and error process. this has really helped us. Also whenever my son loses interest, so do we, we know that it will do no good trying to make him find it so we just work on it as long as he is interested, we are doing the same thing with numbers. Good Luck to you!!!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I used the foam alphabet letters for the bathtub. For some reason, they seem to be a little more open to learning when they're naked ;). We just did 1 letter a week. I didn't start with A. I started with the first letter of their names. This way it also helped with them recognizing their names on things. Giving it a week per letter gives you time to talk about the letter and what sound it makes. This worked with both of my kids, and I started my oldest when he turned 2.
    hkpl8

Answer by hkpl8 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Kids this age don't learn well through drills. Make a game of it! We use everything from I Spy to online games that feature letters, as well as fridge magents, foam bath letters, etc. If you know he knows the letters, than take a break. The more you push, the more he'll push back. If you're frustated, chances are he knows it at least at some level. He'll get this. you're doing a great job. In many Kindergarten programs, letter recogniztion is STILL a first quarter (or beyond) curriculum component. If he resists today, it's more than ok to take a break and give him some breathing room.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008