Do kids get teased for being too tall in school?

My daughter is only two and she has never been below 97% of hight. Her tallest she was at 22 months was 106%. Im 5'8" and the shortest person in my family. MySO is 6'4", his dad 6'3", his 14yo bro is 6'1", his mom is 5'11", his 16 yo sis is 5'11". My 15yo bro is 6'2". Now my daughter is the hight of any 3yo and almost all 4yo. Im afraid that when shes in elementary school shell be teased for being tall. Do you have tall kids?? Did they get teased in school?? How do you deal with that? is it too early to think about this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids get teased for everything and anything. You just have to let her know theres nothing wrong if shes tall. Im 5'10 and never really got "teased" but people did make comments. I never really cared though. Just make sure she knows theres nothing wrong with her. If someone does tease her just make sure she knows the right way to handle it. & A simple reminder that everyone is special & beautiful in their own way definitely helps :) GL & dont worry so much mama, she will be fine.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 12:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Kids get teased for anything and everything. She needs to take pride in herself. Very important that she does not start to slouch to make herself shorter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well.....I'm 5' 2", I have always been on the small side....I definitely got teased, but to be honest it didn't really bother me. My dad always told me that good things come in small packages, and I guess I believed him. I am the runt in my family. All of my cousins are tall fashion model types, and they all seem to feel confident about their height.

My youngest son was the youngest in his class, and the smallest for a long time. He got teased because he was small for a lot of years. I know it bothered him, he did eventually catch up, but we had some hard years.

I don't think it's to early to think about it. I would build her confidence, hopefully she'll feel good about herself which will either make other kids look up to her, or give her the confidence to take the easing as a compliment.

Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:59 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am the runt of my family too...4'11" and it was always the tall kids who picked on me. I never noticed them getting picked on, but things are different these days so who knows. I agree in helping her build her confidence.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• kids get teased for a multitude of things... too short- too tall- teeth issues( my son has yellowish teeth through no fault of his own-it;s a problem with the teeth themselves and the only way to fix it is with veneers)- being overweight- being hairy (what I got teased for)- red hair- not swearing (another thing they picked on my son for the other day), on and on and on...

All you can do is make sure they know they are special and important and if it is getting to a point where they are phsyically touched or whatever-that the scools know what is going on an teach your kids that being mean or saying mean things is hurtful to others- to treat others how you want to be treated
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Kids can be teased for anything. i was teased for being too skinny! lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010