Is it appropriate/inappropriate?

My son is 7. I want to breast feed the baby when he comes. My husband expects me not to breast feed in front of my son, but I don't see the problem with it. He says he really doesn't want him to see me

AnitaB27

Asked by AnitaB27 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your husband is wrong. Your son NEEDS to see a breast as a method for feeding a baby. Seeing it ONLY as a sex thing is wrong. All this hiding nursing and being so prudish about ourselves is whats wrong with people now a days. Other cultures have no issue with this...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think your husband is the one with the hang up, not you or your son. You just take care of your baby the way you see fit, in front of YOUR son! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't see it as a problem as long as it is done discreetly. No, I do not think you should flip it out. Yes, I think you can do it appropriately in front of your 7 year old son.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree a lot with Bradenismyson. Your son should be able to see that there are benefits to having breasts besides for oogling at.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Breast feeding is natural and beautiful. If you want to "break in" the whole thing, get books of animals nursing their babies. Explain that that's how bablie eat and you'll be feeding your baby like that too. At his age he's seen books on baby animals, I'm sure, but probably no one directed his attention. You may even know someone who has a dog or cat who is nursing. If you do, let him see that. The more natural it feels the more comfortable you'll all be. Initially, you may want to cover up a little, but honestly, you don't have to do that for long. It's going to become a totally natural thing. Yes, he'll be curious and want to watch at first, but that will become boring for him and he'll lose interest. Breats are sexual to your husband, not a 7 year old. They're just curious about what things look like!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Is your husband generally supportive of BFing, just not in front of your son? I think as long as he supports BFing in general, it will work itself out when the baby comes. Are you at home during the day and he works? Because then he won't be around to criticize, and I think it will become part of your day-to-day routine, your older son won't even pay attention to it after a little while. I nursed my son in front of my 6 and 8 year old nephews all the time without using anything to cover up (besides my shirt and the baby's head), and the first time, the younger one asked if I was "gonna feed him from my boobies" but after that they didn't even pay attention.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I breastfeed my daughter in front of my 10 year old son. I'm somewhat discreet, but not totally covered up. It's not any big deal to him. Maybe if your husband sees your older son's non reaction when he sees you breastfeeding he (your husband) will be more comfortable. I would think it would be worse for you to send your 7 year old away while you breastfeed the new baby, which is a huge amount of your time especially in the first few weeks when your older one might need a little extra reassurance and love from you, not less.

Answer by missanc at 12:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• being your son is seven i think it would be ok if you were covered up in some way.
    supermommy1983

Answer by supermommy1983 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Tell him that by seeing you do this, he will be less inclined to view women merely as sex objects.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wrote a comment earlier and the more I think about this- I want to say something more- I think that a lot of this problem is mostly because of the husband and his thoughts about the chld (son). Everyone knows that men think with there male parts and not their God given brains. So, personnelly, I think that as a mom it's your body and you do what's right for you and your newborn. When the time comes- you will know just how to handle it- Remember, Kid's don't come with a handbook. And it doesn't matter how many people writes these other books- You do what's right for you and your family.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 12:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010