I need tips on how to help my son dislike being wet or dirty!

My almost 3-year-old son resists sitting on the potty, so we're taking a little break. But I did put him in cloth training pants, hoping that he would at least learn to identify when he's wet or dirty. Well, a little over a week now and no such luck. Anyone have experience with toddlers who had absolutely no problem sitting in their own pee and poop? Did they just eventually outgrow it - one day a lightbulb went off and they're like, "Hey! I'm wet! This sucks!" Or did you have to someone also train them to understand the difference? If so, WHAT DID YOU DO??

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 11:56 AM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son doesn't care if he is wet unless he is wearing a brief but he will not stand for poop either way. I don't know any tips though
    Good luck
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 11:58 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Have you tried the 3-Day Method? It's AWESOME! It worked for us very well!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I never had a child in diapers that long, but have you tried giving an award, talking about how much of a big boy he is, or having dad till him all the cool things big boys get to do?
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I haven't read 3-day method myself, though a friend was telling me about it. If it involved going bare-bottom, we tried that at the beginning too, and that's when he would kick and scream about having to sit on the potty. Even bare-bottomed, he didn't mind pee or poop. One time he sat in his booster seat at the dining table, sitting in his own puddle, happily finishing a snack as if nothing's wrong. Everyone told me that he probably wasn't ready to potty train, so that's why we're taking a break right now.

As for rewards, he wasn't getting it either. He doesn't care that much about stickers, so the chart thing didn't make sense to him. He occasionally sat down on the potty for a treat, but I couldn't get him to stay on for more than 2 seconds, and then he would just demand a treat.

(And unfortunately, I'm alone in this. His dad works crazy hours and he's lucky if he sees him for a few minutes each day.)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Ugh, I'm really hoping you'll get a good answer on this, because I have the same problem. My 2 year old (yeah, I know he's still young, but still...) has absolutely NO interest in the potty whatsoever, and he'll happily sit in a soiled diaper for however long I let him. It sucks. I'm currently pregnant, and I'd REALLY like to have him out of diapers before I give birth... :|
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm hoping you get some good answers, too, lol. My son is almost three and knows what the potty is, what pee and poop are, has used it before, but refuses to do so now. He'll sit there for 15 minutes and as soon as we let him up he'll go in his diaper. Today I started putting him in undies and having a potty break every 15 minutes (I plan on upping it every day), but he hasn't gone yet, either in his pants or in the toilet. Its nap time now, so we'll see how things go once he gets up, but I'm hoping it gets us somewhere.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• bandgeek, how do you get him to sit on the potty for 15 minutes? Even with TV or a book, if I got him to sit on the potty, he'd sit then stand right back up.
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son was the same way. We potty trained him at 2.5 using the bare bottom method.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son was the same way. We decided to take a break and not talk about it for awhile. It worked. Just after turning 3 years old he came to us and informed us that he was ready to use the big potty. One week later he was offficially potty trained. :) Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• He just likes it, I guess. I'll read to him or let him flip through a book if he seems like he's not into it, but most of the time all I have to do is sit in there with him and he'll stay put as long as I like. I'm actually worried that doing that, though, has gotten him too familiar with it, since he's on it all the time without actually using it. I don't know. He peed once today, and I put him right on it (it was about halfway through the 15 minute timer), but I'm not sure if he gets it or not, even though he's used it before and can say potty, can run to the potty when I say lets go potty, and knows what pee and poop are.... So I'm at a loss, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010