What are your thoughts on this quote?

"We despise all reverences and all objects of reverence which are outside
the pale of our list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency,
we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us."
Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)
(Thanks, Obby, for the inspiration--I like this line of questioning. Great food for thought)

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• LOL... I love Mark Twain! He has such a sardonic sense of humour! Yeah... I agree. We love what is familiar, and get so lost in our own perspective that we forget how unfamiliar our familiar is to others!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it's quite common.
    Makes me think of another wise observation by the late George Carlin: "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Good quote! Some are so easy to put others beliefs or things they hold sacred down but go completely insane when someone does it to them.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 12:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's a quote that I fully agree with.

People's views in regards to religion, society, acceptable behaviours, unacceptable behaviours..etc..etc.. Are all based on perspective, and each person's perspective is greatly influenced by their environment and life experiences. And those things are influenced greatly by not only the area of the world you grew up in, but also you knowledge and exposure to others as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• While I agree for the most part (and for the time it was said), I know there are those who really are open minded about things of this nature. There are those who think ALL religious texts and obejects are ascred and should be left alone, whether it is there religion or not. I think people are becoming more open minded as time goes on. I just pray that this trend continues.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• AGREE...it is truth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• ha! so true...so true.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• So very true!! Excellent quote!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's human nature, don't you think? Like with diets--I am vegetarian, and tofu is a frequent part of our meals, yet to meat-eaters, you'd think that I was eating a plate of worms. However, somewhere in the world, eating a plate of worms wouldn't be so awful. . . Religion is like that. What is unknown, unfamiliar, or unpracticed is . . . well, just wrong, to so many, and incomprehensible, backwards, heathen--and I don't think that just goes for Christians, but for many of the major (and maybe even minor) world religions.  Those I admire (while maybe not follow) are those who are open-minded to the idea that spirituality is a very personal thing.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Very true.
    Lovemynal

Answer by Lovemynal at 1:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010