Dieting? Why you should ditch diet soda.

I'm not convinced but here is the link to the full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39543011/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition

Americans are drinking lots of diet sodas — regular consumers average 27 ounces, or slightly more than 2 cans, daily, according to research — and gobble up more artificial sweeteners in cookies, yogurt and other products, obesity rates have soared .
In fact, two recent studies found that being a diet soda junkie could actually put you at a greater risk of weight gain . Normal weight people who drank 3 servings or more of diet soda a day — at least 21 weekly servings — were at almost double the risk for becoming overweight or obese after seven to eight years compared to people who skipped diet drinks.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 12:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Health

• who the hell drinks 21 pops a week?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Any soda is bad soda to me, diet or not.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If you want to lose weight, you have to ditch the soda. I don't think soda companies should be allowed to put the word "diet" on their products. Artificial sweeteners have definitely been found to have adverse effects.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Drop the soda... they try to convince you that diet is healthier but in reality, its not. Diet may not have the sugar or calories of regular soda, but it’s FULL of other health-draining chemicals, like caffeine, artificial sweeteners, sodium and phosphoric acid. When consuming artificial sweeteners, you think that its better for your diet but inturn it is NOT! Artificial sweeteners actually are proven to make you eat more. Good Luck!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I prolly drink more than 21 pops a week...

Not diet though, regular old Coke
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• 27 ounces is almost 3 and half cups.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am on my second week of no pop at all! I was a diet soda addict!!! Read sweetpoison.com...it is a real eyeopener!!!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 12:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Then what r u suppose to drink other than water??? Is unsweetened tea better for u?
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes!! Water, tea, 100% juice...
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Chewing gum and diet drinks both have phenylalanine.

I'm highly allergic to that sweetener( though its a natural one ) where a half a cup of diet soda would set me off on a migraine for a day or two! I had no idea it was the sodas, and chewing gums that were the issue til I figured it out.

I sure miss chewing gum......almost ALL brands have that in their products.

Water is best actually.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010