WITH PARENT WHO SPANK THERE KIDS; DO YOU THINK SPANKING TEACHES CHILDREN HITTING IS NORMAL, OR OK. IF THEY DON'T LIKE SOMETHING THEN HITTING IS THE WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM???

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 12:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, I was spanked. I never have hit anyone to get my way.
    Neither has my son or my dad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I dont spank my daughter, my husband does or I should say did. He thought that it would work since we have a very very strong willed child but it doesn't. It comes back at us she hits me no intending to hurt me but thats what she has been shown to do if someone does something she doesn't like. I usually only smack her hand if she is doing something that could potentially hurt her like playing in the kitchen with my oven door or something but I baby gated off a corner in my living room and now she gets time outs and its working my better... she realizes what shes done wrong when I put her in time out and tell her why shes there then when she gets out after her 2 minutes she still has to correct the problem. Much more effective, when my husband would swat her on the butt she would laugh at him!
    Tuesday503

Answer by Tuesday503 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Nope. My kids are spanked every once in a while and none if them hit or bite.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If I honestly thought that, do you think I would be spanking my child?
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think spanking has its benefits and its disadvantages. your children should be able to learn from an early age that there will be consequences for bad behavior and if you choose spanking there must be an understanding between you and the child why they are being spanked. and as a parent you will know if your children are more opinionated and articulated that spanking wont solve any issues as they will be mentally mature to handle a talking too. In my house you will be told that if a certain behaviour does not stop after several warnings a discussion around why the behaviour is occurring will take place and a punishment will be carried out either in a form of spanking or a privilege taken away.

ttc

Etter

Answer by Etter at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I spank my children. Or rather I used to. I don't really have the need anymore, but they wouldn't get a spanking unless it was totally warranted by doing somthing that was going to hurt them. We sit and talk to them. We explain everything to them. I don't think it teaches them to hit when they don't get their way or that hitting is ok. It teaches them that there are consequences for their actions, and that the consequences are not going to be good if their actions are not good. It teaches them respect for us as parents, and I think it makes for better kids. My kids are so much better behaved than a lot of kids out there because they know there are consequences for everything that they do. Now that they are older, we don't spank them, but rather they lose priveleges and things that they have to earn back. There are still consequences for any action they do.And they have always understood that.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think, like all other things, hitting has it's place in the world, and there ARE cases where hitting is a valid answer... However, No, I don't think spanking teaches hitting is the answer or that hitting is okay. If used correctly it actually teaches to associate negativity with hitting - when used to correct that or similar behaviors...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I was spanked, my friends were spanked, my fiance was spanked, and my son is spanked and none of us are violent people. There are also parents who were spanked as children who don't spank their own. So no, spanking does not teach hitting. It is a parents choice in dicipline and if you don't like it then don't do it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Your caps lock key is stuck...

But to answer- we spanked sparingly and neither of my boys have ever been in a fist fight, they don't even pound on each other like many brothers do- they are no shrinking violets-but they are pretty laid back and not a whole lot ruffles them.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Nope.  I was spanked as a kid and, although there were times I got into fights and hit my brother, I knew it was wrong.  My kids get the occasional spanking and I don't think their hitting each other has anything to do with being spanked.  They know hitting other people is wrong but they choose to vent their frustrations that way (towards their siblings, they have never hit other kids).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010