How can I get my 6 month old to take naps in his crib?

My son is 6 months and has been sleeping through the night since 3 months, but he is used to taking naps in his swing or car seat. I'm trying to break that habit as he is getting too big for the swing. He has a hard time self-soothing, and he fights it every time I put him in the crib and it isn't dark out. I've tried everything I can think of... pacifiers, soft music, CIO, dark shades... nothing is working. What can I do to help him?

parkersmama08

Asked by parkersmama08 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try elevating him somehow in the crib.. maybe it's the flatness upsetting him.. after being upright for naps so long. Also, maybe a pillowcase you've used underneath him.. so your smell is there to soothe him.. Did you try transferring him after he's been asleep a while in the swing or car seat?
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 6:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I just don't get why he goes right to sleep in his crib at night, but for naps in the day he screams forever and gets so worked up. I don't want to transfer him from the swing... since I'm trying to get him to NOT use the swing at all anymore (he's too heavy and is wearing out the motor), and he only goes to sleep in the car seat when we are driving somewhere.
    parkersmama08

Answer by parkersmama08 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008