Christians - How do you reconcile your Christian beliefs with evolution?

This is something I have always struggled with as a Christian, and I'd love to hear others' opinions.

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 12:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i believe that God set evolution in place and is behind the discoveries science is making. i dont know a lot about evolution, but what i do know makes sense to me...so why cant God be controlling it? its called "creator led evolution".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• What's to reconcile? There is no physical proof of evolution. The Bible says "God created" not "God created and sat back and watched _____ evolve over millions of years into ______________". To me, God created things the way we see them today and evolution is science's way of trying to explain creation without God.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't reconcile it ... Here's an interesting video on this idea of reconciliation between Darwinism and Theism. http://www.discovery.org/v/2111/1. You should also know that terms and their definitions are highly important. Darwinism deals with the origin of species - that all living things came from a single ancestor. Neo-Darwinism says that this happened as a result of purposeless "direction," meaning there is no rhyme of reason for our existence. Macro-Evolution is the ability of a species to change its DNA into a new and different species, and Micro-evolution is the ability WITHIN the species to adapt to the environment. From what I've studied, the ONLY thing that can be reconciled to a belief in a Creator is micro-evolution ... the others that I mentioned contradict Scripture. The species on this planet are unique unto themselves and don't share common ancestry and all of creation was made with a purpose in mind.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Gal51, very impressive!  Your reply and the short video on that website are very thought-provoking.  I never heard of all those different terms before.

I've mean wanting to read Chance or Purpose and The Language of God, and now I need to add God and Evolution to my reading list.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Gal51

• There is no proof of evolution. there is actually a peron who has a standing offer of a substantial amount of money for anyone who can prove evolution. Evolutionists disagree on many things and the facts are that "Lucy" was a chimp, neanderthal man has been proved to be a scam, and there is no transitory fossils. Even Darwin apologized and many astromomers and other scientists have come to a point where they cannot go any further and at least acknowledge a Creator. So, no reconciliation. I belive the Bible and God's word, not a theory of man.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm not a Christian, but you should do some research on theistic evolution. The two concepts aren't necessarily contradictory.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't believe there's anything that needs to be reconciled. I'm a Christian who believes in evolution with no problem. Then again, I don't take the Bible to be completely literal....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Oh, and I agree with okmanders, that God chose to work through evolution. I also think the adaptability of His creation is something He would have recognized as vital for their/our survival.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If you believe in the Bible, there is nothing to reconcile. Therefore, it's never been something that has concerned me. Evolution is nothing more than the theory of a man who did not believe in God and who knew nothing of Christianity.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010