How can I get my picky eater to eat more?

I have a 6 year old daughter that doesn't always eat what I cook. Sometimes she wants candy or chips but most times she doesn't want to eat the meat. There are some things I can get her to eat with no problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CuteandSassy

Asked by CuteandSassy at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• don't offer her candy & chips. When I was a kid whatever we didn't eat at dinner we got for breakfast the next day.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't offer her cand or hipsbut she cries that that is what she wants and i make it so if she says she is hungry later that she has to eat her dinner sometimes she does sometimes she doesn't
    CuteandSassy

Comment by CuteandSassy (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Just explain to her that is what is for dinner and no she doesn't have to eat it, but she won't get anything later on. Just be calm and matter of fact about it. IF she is crying just tell her to go into her room until she can be calm.

We have a picky eater too and I am sick of fighting about food. Some nights if were having something he won't eat at all we do let him have something else, but I give him the choices. I know people diagree with that, but that is what is good for our family. We make up a menu plan at the beginning of the week and we always let him pick one nights meal, sometimes its cereal or hot dogs, I don't care I think its important for him to have some say it in.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i have the exact same problem with my daughter 7 and i am tired of cooking two different meals everyday. i have told her this is what the family is eating either you eat it or go to bed but i give in i cant take it i alwaya end up cooking something for her let me know what works for you
    vira78

Answer by vira78 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son isnt too picky but with meals we have a rule of eating 3 bites. If he truely does not like it then he can have a pb & j with some carrots or some sort of fresh fruit
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010