How long did you wait?

With all these scary diseases such as pertusis "wooping cough" I was curiouse how long did you wait till you aloud "healthy" visitors to come and meet your newborn? Ive grown increasingly concerned wspecially since my husbands side of the family has alot of children and they are in general a bit hygenicaly challenged. They are almost constantly sick.

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had family members with us at the hospital and then at home. We had some people stop by within few weeks, and we made them either wash their hands or use the hand sanitizer before touching or holding the baby especially the first 6 weeks of his life even family members did that on their own or we asked. All of them as far as we knew were healthy. Then we didn't take him to see other people until he got his first shots. If you are really concerned about your baby, I would call the pediatrician and ask what he or she recommends. Good luck!
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 4:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had people over at my house right away. My mom was staying at my house when I was able to bring DS home from the hospital.
    Anonymous

• I had people waiting in the room for us to get back from my csection to see the baby! so, just make sure everyone washes their hands before handleing ur baby-it should be common sense and considerate...but sometimes ppl dont.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had a really close friend at the hospital with me when my dd was born and another visited within a few days of us coming home. The inlaws were here when dd was 3 weeks old. Everyone was healthy and clean, so I wasn't too worried about it. If someone is ill keep them away, otherwise you can always just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer handy or just tell them that it's mommy baby bonding time, the baby is hungry, I need to change the baby, et. c.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We had visitors the same day we brought our son home from the hospital.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010