Sight words as opposed to phonics (actually LEARNING how to read)

My opinion is obvious in the question...but I will expand on it in a post later :-D

grammamamma

Asked by grammamamma at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in

• PHONICS...the other is meaningless. (My Baby Can Memorize)..and it won't help him in life.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You're supposed to do both, not one or the other. Phonics for word attack skills, and sight words so that you don't have to continue parsing common words.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Phonics, but my son is watching My Baby Can Read as we speak. We use it for learning to say words and identify what they mean. I don't think 21 month olds need to learn how to read :) It was a gift so we are taking what we want from it and leaving the rest.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• In the early years the simple short words are definitely good to learn as sight words, but as they get older they need phonics too so they can sound out longer words. I am teaching my children both and they are 5 and 3 years old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Both. My daughter has been taught both phonics and sight words and she reads above her grade level.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Definitely phonics. My husband is the product of "whole word concepts" and still struggles with large unfamilair words. He can't break it down into pieces to pronounce or make an educated guess at the meaning. "Your baby can read" or any other whole word memorization technique isn't doing your kid any favors.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• phonics
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sight words 80% of the instructional time, phonics 20% - the ideal mix for Pre-K - 1st grade. IMO
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sight words should be the LESSER part of learning to read. Without a good basis in phonics the child can not spell well or read well. In the long run (taken from everything I have read during some research I did) children who came up through primarily sight word reading in the early years tend to end up BEHIND in later years and struggle with grades in high school.
    grammamamma

Comment by grammamamma (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Phonics!!!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2010