Kennel cough?

Got a dog from the shelter almost 3 months ago. He was fine (shots updated etc). He started coughing (hacking) about a week ago. He hasn't been around any other dogs or even out of the yard~~so could he still have kennel cough?

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 1:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Pets

• My dog had it, but we caught it about 2 weeks after we adopted her. You will have to talk to your vet, they will be able to tell if that's what it is. I'm not sure how long the incubation period is.

Shanna84: I asked the vet about this, they said they don't vaccinate for kennel cough at shelters because it's not in their budget. If you think about it, that makes sense. Many shelters struggle as it is without adding the cost of another vaccination to the mix.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would think if he came from a shelter, he would be vaccinated against kennel cough. If he's still doing it, I would def take him to the vet. Keep him away from other dogs because kennel cough is seriously contagious. He could have something stuck in his throat. Did you give him any bones?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Plan on taking him tomorrow and unfortunately we do have another dog. (Not unfortunately that we have another dog but that he too could catch it! LOL)
    Carolannie

Comment by Carolannie (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The shelters I got both my dogs from vaccinated them for kennel cough. So dunno... I volunteered at a humane society and all their animals were fully vetted. Guess they have good funding.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If the dog was given the kennel cough vaccine a week ago that would have been the cause of the dog getting it most likely. I have seen it happen many times(work at vet) this is one reason I do not give this vaccine to my dogs
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Just got back from the vet and he said it's allergies. Gave him prednisone and eye drops and hopefully that helps.
    Carolannie

Comment by Carolannie (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Glad you got it figured out!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010