to douche or not to douche...??

i know a lot of people think its bad to douche, but ive done for a long time and have never had any problem with it.... i like to keep it extra clean down there..... anyway, i just found out im pregnant, can i keep douching or does it harm the baby in any way??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Health

• Ask your OB.
    Anonymous

• Well seeing that doctors say you shouldn't douche when your not pregnant. I'm sure douching while pregnant is definitely not a good idea. Common sense maybe?
    Anonymous

• I hear douching isn't good, due to one killing the good bacteria in the vagina that fights against the bad. I would say not douche, especially if you are preggo.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• NO NO NO douching is rly bad its just pushing the bacteria up their wich causes infections and when ur prego u deff shuldnt
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It's not just "some people." You will not find ONE Dr. who would tell you to douche. Especially while you're pregnant. Sounds stupid to me that ANYBODY would douche with the info we have these days....
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• it changes your flora~your body know just what to do~so no douching!
    Get ready for everything to smell big...I kept asking myself if the world is really that stinky or if the pregnant nose just thinks it is....I think the world is really that smelly and only the pregnant or estrogenized nose on the human can pick up on it~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Absolutely not. Its really bad for you...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• im with the PPs...if the majority of Drs say not to do it when you arent pregnant, its probably a no-no to do it while pregnant.

your vagina is self-cleaning, it doesnt need any help...just soap and water on the outside and youre good.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My ob said NO WAY!!! it pushes the bateria up there
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 1:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You aren't supposed to douche period! Everyone is right. You change the natural balances of bacteria in your vagina when you douche, which can cause a whole array of problems, including infections. So by thinking you are getting "extra clean" you are actually inviting in more bad bacteria. So to answer your question, no you should definitely NOT douche when your are pregnant. Just because nothing has happened to you YET, doesn't mean you are invincible. And when you are pregnant, your immune system is compromised and if you DO wind up getting an infection, your body will have a harder time fighting it off...which is going to be really bad for you and baby.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2010