Do you keep a checking register anymore or just check online banking?

I haven't kept a written register in years. I check, and know what funds are availabe online.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• I do it both ways, I do keep track in my book, and every few days I get online and check and make sure it all adds up
    Anonymous

• I don't have time to write it all down.(well I probably do Im just lazy)lol I keep up with it online its more accurate. and not adding up all the numbers.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Ugh, I admit - I have a calendar set up with bills and I watch the balance online as well making sure I plan everything right. I keep meaning to set up Quicken or something similar because I want to watch what we're spending closer.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I personally think it's best to follow both the online register and the checkbook. It's good to have something to double check with. Some purchases don't come out until a day or two after you make the transaction, so you might think you have more money than you really have. My boyfriend overdrew from his account many many times because of that. He finally started keeping a written book with him at all times and now writes down every single transaction, no matter how small. He hasn't overdrafted yet :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have to admit I'm lazy and only check it online. I know it's wrong and we really should have our own personal copy. I DO want to create a spreadsheet so I can look at what bills I've paid and when they're due to come up again.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I check online and never use a register anymore.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I do it like you do.
    MarieT03

Answer by MarieT03 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I do little of both...if I write a check (which really is for bills) then I write in the register, the rest I just use the receipt and keep a running tally in my head until it (the receipt) shows up online. Which happens within 24 hours....I check my account online daily.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 7:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I do both for fear that my internet or computer will go down AGAIN! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• both, in case I missed something!!!
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 8:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008