Sacral dimple

My son was born with one but it's in between is butt cheaks it has never been open it has always been closed. I read that if they are close to the anus they are most likely ok. Does anyone elses child have one like my sons I described?

BubblesB

Asked by BubblesB at 5:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter has one. Hers is at the very top of her .. well cheeks? Hers has always been closed and just something the doctor made note of and checks during exams. She's two this December and she has other issues unrelated that caused her to walk 'funny' -- just to be safe, her pedi took an xray of her hips to make sure the sacral dimple wasn't a sign of development issues with the hips and spine. (It wasn't)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I am so glad your little girl is ok. My aunt had this and she ended up having a 5 inch cyst in it but hers was never closed up. I am going to mention this to my sons doctor. I never asked about it but decided to look it up today on the internet because I wanted to know what it was.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 8:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My daughter was born with one. It was closed also. I was told she might need surgery when she started school because it could get irritated and infected from sitting. She is 16 now and never has complained or had a problem with it.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thanks BubblesB - I hope all is well with your son. It never hurts to be safe, and as Mommies we sometimes notice things doctors don't! :) I did actually have a chance meeting with a lady and her daughter (right before my daughter had hers checked) the little girl was about 2 and was trying to show me her scar. Her Mom explained she had surgery because of a sacral dimple, I didn't ask if it was open or closed -- she said that her daughter was also having issues walking, it hurt her to jump, etc. They ran some tests and it was easily corrected with surgery. Here the girl was a few *weeks* after surgery and her Mom said it was night and day.. running, happy, no pain.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I am so glad I came across this. My son has one too, but I never knew what it was called. His is at the top of his cheeks also. His pediatrician told me soon after he was born not to worry about it and it would just need attention if it cause him pain later on. I just looked it up on webmd though and I'm gonna ask his current ped. about it at his 2 year check up on Thursday. It said that it could be a problem if it's deep (can't see the bottom), if it's big (more than .5 cm I think), if it's more than 2.5 cm above the anus, or if there's any other skin condition found there as well. My son's is really deep, and I believe it's more than 2.5 cm away so I'm gonna have him checked out again and maybe ask for an u/s to be sure he's ok.
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 11:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2008