How do you keep your kids healthy during cold/flu season?

Do you disinfect your home more? Eat special foods or take supplements etc.....

mom23ks

Asked by mom23ks at 5:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Health

• Make them wash ther hands a lot..

Answer by louise2 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Definately good handwashing! We also use the anti-bacterial tissues and clean the bathroom more often.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Good handwashing before eating, anti-bacterial cleaner after we go to public places, but most importantly we take supplements that include a wide range of antioxidants.
    livewell4me

Answer by livewell4me at 5:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Vitamins, Orange juice, yoplait yogurt drinks, healthy afterschool snacks...moring breakfast is healthy too. OH and lots of antibacterial wipes around the house for them to grab and go...plus I keep the door handles and remotes clean. LOL The kids help too so mom dont get stuck with cleaning everything.
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Good handwashing is a must. I am not big on the whole anti-bacterial craze. We need some of those germs to fight off the bad germs. I wipe things like light switches, keyboards, phones, door handles, drawer handles...etc...with vinegar/water solution. I also spray our toothbrushes every day with peroxide to disinfect them. Good nutrition and healthy sleeping habits also go a long way to keeping us healthy! Oh, and go outside!!! Fresh air and sunshine are a must...the germs are lurking inside...the cold weather does NOT make you sick!
    mamajuls64

Answer by mamajuls64 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• In ADDITION to many of the things already suggest (which I do); I also keep my children home and away from all the sickies!!! If they have the sniffles then I'll cancel play dates; when they went to PS (public school) I would keep them home if they had the sniffles, a cough, etc. It was better for them to miss a day or 2 here and there and rest, then it was to get sent to school and just get knocked out for a week, because they were exposed to all the germs there when they were already under the weather. more next post
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 6:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• contunie: Now that we homeschool I don't have to worry about it as much, but if we are sick (which we haven't been); I would stay home from the activities and groups outings that were plan for that day..... Yes, I homeschool, but my kids go to classes and activities several days a week, and I'll just not go if they have a runny nose, cough, sniffles etc. It's better then spreading the germs!! Also if I go somewhere and find that they are sick, then I leave!! I don't need to stay around the germs!
    SAHMinIL

• ORANGE JUICE EVERY DAY! FOR ME TOO!!
    Anonymous

• I am glad I came back. Lots of great ideas here. Thanks for making this post. LOL
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008