When does the LOCHIA stop?

I just gave birth 4 weeks ago. Some days I am so light that a cotton ball would suffice. Then there are days when I only need a light pantyliner. I'm just tired of wearing pads and liners all day for a what-if and a spot.

I've been spotting for about a week. It needs to get heavier or just stop all together.

How long will the spotting/bleeding continue after giving birth?

PS: I'm also Breastfeeding.

baby4cowboy

Asked by baby4cowboy at 5:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could continue for up to a month
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I was breastfeeding.. and mine lasted almost 6 weeks.. because I didn't take it as easy as I should have.. (I had an emergency C though too)
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 6:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my locchia lasted 6 weeks with both. both times I stopped mostly at 4 weeks, then it started back up with a vengeance for 2 more weeks.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thanks ladies...but UGH!

I hate the 4-5 days, much less EVERYDAY for 4-6 weeks. blah...... On the UP side, I have a gorgeous BLUE EYED little man to look at every day.
    baby4cowboy

Answer by baby4cowboy at 6:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I actually didn't stop spotting completely until 8 weeks after a scheduled repeat c-section. I had a bad strain to my back and was taking it really easy from 6 wks on, so I'm not sure why. My dr wasn't concerned as long as it stopped by 12 weeks.
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 7:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I had an emergency c-section I also breastfed and to make it all worse I did not take it easy at all (I don't like not being able to take care of myself) and mine only lasted for 3 weeks. All my doctors and nurses also said that they all learned and discovered from expirence that red heads bled the worst (I'm a redhead) but I barely bled and for only 3 weeks. So in reality I think it's different for everyone but when I was discharged from the hospital my paperwork said it could last up to 8 weeks after giving birth.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2008