How Do You Know When You Are Done Having Kids?

My friend and I were talking about this question. For those who are done...how did you know? I do not want finances to be an answer either. Like how did you know in your heart that you were done. Or does that wanting another baby never go away?

BeautyFromPain

Asked by BeautyFromPain at 1:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 4 and I kept saying thoughout the whole pregnancy "4th and final, 4th and final". I also tried to write down when I was having cramps and pains so I wouldn't want to do it again. I also made a note of how I felt about going to the dozens of doctor's appointments and how much I didn't like doing that. Lastly, I had a natural drug free birth and tried to remember how awful the pain was and didn't want to do it again.

But here I am 4 months postpartum and trying to pick a time to discuss with my husband when we should have another. For me, no matter how hard I tried, that feeling of wanting another baby has not gone away yet.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I knew when I decided to have my only child that I would only be having 1 child.

I never really had a desire to have children. Having children was never on my life's "to do" list.. However, when I did decide that I wanted a child (I was nearly 29 when I had my only) I knew that 1 was all I wanted to have. So, 1 is all I had. That was nearly 19 years ago. I've never had any desire, need or want, to have more children.. 1 has just always been what was "right" for me.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I just knew after having my second that I did not want to be pregnant again or deal with a newborn, diapers, etc. I also look at moms with newborns and think, "Aw, how cute, but so glad it's not me." My youngest is 3 1/2 and I still have no desire to have another.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm done because my hubby and I have spread our kids out through the years, we have 3 girls ages 17, 11 and 4 and even though I would love a boy, I'm not willing to start over yet again. I've already been a mom for over 17 years and I have many more to go with a minor in the house. My age is also a consideration, 39 and I'm ready to move forward to the other half of my life without little ones under foot. Even though I know I will miss having little ones, it is time to move on.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have 3. We go back and forth daily on whether we are truely done or still want 1 more. Some days I have baby fever really bad and other days I could rip my hair out! I know time will tell me if we are really done or not :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i have a girl now so i would want at least a brother or sister for her.i will probably have 3 and thats all
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have 4 great kiddo's my oldest is 13.then.my youngest is 5..after my youngest was born we desided to have my tubes tied..i was pretty sure 2 boys and 2 girls were enough for me i had had a few miscarriages and also some other pregnancy problems..i wasn't sure if i was able to deal with it anymore..so that helped us deside that maybe the 4th was our blessing and that was our que to stop..
    I don't think the whole baby thing ever goes away thow..i see family member's and other people becoming pregnant and think AWW i want another baby..i get those feelings when i hold a newborn also..i think it's the mothely nature in us women ..as much as i would love to have another baby i also think about how far i have come from changing diaper's non stop..potty training..staying up all night long with colic..ect..ect...now my children are all school age and i actually have some me time every now n then after cleaning..cooking..ect..lol.
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My mom had four girls and she said that want to have another never really goes away.
    I thought I was done with two children, but my husband and I just couldn't shake the feeling of wanting one more. Now I'm pregnant with our third and we know this is the end. It's this feeling deep inside that you know you've hit your limit. It's about what you can handle emotionally and physically, it has nothing to do with finances. Though, obviously, finances do play a key role in raising them it doesn't have anything to do about the want to have more. I think about three kids and I think "We can still do everything we want to with three. We are at a good place." And that let's me know that we didn't over extend our family and we didn't short ourselves. We're ready to be done having kids and get this kiddos raised.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I was done because my ex-husband wouldn't let me have another, even though we planned on at least two.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We wanted two. We have two. And we're done. I've never wanted another child and to be honest, I often think of how glad I am that I don't have to go through the pregnancy and baby days ever again. It's so nice to move past that point in our lives!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2010