How long did you wait before having visitors over to meet your newborn?

With all these scary diseases such as pertusis "wooping cough" I was curiouse how long did you wait till you aloud "healthy" visitors to come and meet your newborn? Ive grown increasingly concerned wspecially since my husbands side of the family has alot of children and they are in general a bit hygenicaly challenged. They are almost constantly sick.

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 1:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In your situation with your DH's side of the family I would definately be cautious. However, the liklihood of my child or any child contracting Whooping Cough or another serious virus is actually slim. I'm not too cautious about it, just as long as they're not sick when they come over. I've had guests over the same day or the next day after returning home from the hospital.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We went out to eat on the way home from the hospital & had people at the house when we got there. Never once did we worry about germs or illnesses... And the kids were beautifully healthy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i deliver my dd and my friend came in. so right away. i just made people wash their hands and keep purell by my bed
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• the day I came home from the hospital I had visitors not by choice bcuz I was rly uncomfortable but I would only have well visitors wash their hands and stuff and I would probably have no other kids around but I would say have visitors when you feel better and have energy and stuff like that
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The day after we came home! He is 2 now and is RARELY sick! If you feel uncomfrtable make a rule that anyone showing signs of sickness (runny nose, cough, etc) isn't allowed until they are better. Also, you can ask that your guests wash thier hands or provide hand sanitizer...its the best way to prevent sickness. If you feel uncomfortable still wait a few weeks and then have only a select few come over.People really will understand that you want to protect your lil one! Congrats momma.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Well I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The second my son came out, I had the entire family in the room, BOTH sides. Thankfully no one was sick though. We had visitors every day for his first 3 weeks of life. Although it was usually only 1 or 2 people a day and no one came over that wasn't feeling well or that had been around sick people. I would definitely not allow the sick kids to come over though, or anyone else who is sick for that matter. MOST people won't ask to come over if they are ill, but there are those few people who don't care or don't think about it. That's when you have to stand your ground as a mom. Make sure people wash their hands and all that stuff. My son didn't get sick until he was 6 months old.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my parents and sister were in the hospital room about 5 minutes after he arrived
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We don't have much family at all (just my parents). They will be around because they only live a few miles away and are very helpful. Otherwise, we don't invite guests, but not because of disease and illness. We think it is important to have bonding time, especially in the first two weeks. My husband will be home during that entire time as well.

Our older son is homeschooled and has always been very healthy, but all of our friends kids are always sick and I prefer not have them around.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My mom was here 2 weeks after ds came out and she was the first to visit. We live far away form people so no one came out. I would say do it when you feel ready. If your not ready tell them its not a good time. And dont feel bad about telling them no you are protecting your child.
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As soon as we left the hospital, we went straight to my grandmother's restaurant for everyone to see our kids. Kind of a tradition for everyone there.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010