WHEN CAN I INTRODUCE THE SIPPY CUP?

MY DD IS 5 MTHS.OLD AND SHE GOES CRAZY FOR WHOEVER HAS A DRINK IN THEIR HAND.

pinkclover

Asked by pinkclover at 5:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5-6 mos is fine. just go for a soft tip.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Mine too. She's four months old and she grabs for every kind of drink on the planet. I let her try a few droplets of apple juice and she loved it...but I have no idea when you would start letting them have a sippy cup. I think they need to be able to sit up on their own, for sure.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 5:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Whenever you want!!! Just make sure you put formula or breastmilk in it, and they can have it as early as you want. I think the earlier, the better!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Anytime you want.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would say whenever you want. I started my daughter off with just a little sip of water with her cereal out of a regular small cup and she has been using those and sippy cups ever since ( i still gave her a bottle of course)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My advice is start your child on a sippy as soon as you can! We waited with our son, now he's one and a half and we're having trouble getting him away from the bottle (it's become a comfort thing for him). I'm sure you haven't been shopping for sippys yet - munchkin makes a great BPA-free plastic one that doesn't spill when baby tips it over, you can get them at any Babies R US, Target, Walmart, etc. Good luck - how nice to have such an adventurous little one!
    Anonymous

• my son is six months and i just bought them for him. it took little while to get use to but now he likes it.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i think around 6 months is a good time. it took my daughter a while to figure out that it was for drinking and not just a new toy. lol
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I just bought one for my 6 month old and he LOVES it! I boughht a spill proof cup so what I did was take out the stopper and let him realize something was in it. Then I put the stopper back in and he wanted the stuff again, so after tipping it back and not getting anything, he sucked and WAHLAH he got it!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I started my daughter on a sippy cup at just under five months and she got the idea right away. Shortly after that I introduced a regular cup and she did great with that too. She is now ten months and has 8 oz of formula 4 times a day and she has one of those served in a sippy cup and has drinks all the time from a regular cup (assisted of course). I am slowly weaning her off the bottle. By a year she should be done with it. When I started her on the sippy I only gave her water but she loved it. I think that the sippy cup is great tool for weaning off the bottle if it is used properly.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008