weaning BFing and binky help.

My DD is 17 months old she nurses at night and sometimes at nap. She has her binky after she nurses and while sleeping, and sometimes during the day. I would like to stop both. I have no ideal how to and what 1 to do 1st or both at the sametime. I pretty sure she more attached to the nursing than the binky. any advice appriacted thanks~

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IS there a specific reason you are wanting to wean? The WHO recommends breastfeeding a MINIMUM of 2 years. As for the Binky, just throw them away. YOU are the parent. Yes, she will most likely be upset a few days but eventually she will forget about it.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• get rid of the binky first. trust me my dd was almost 3 when i finally had the guts to get rid of it. yes it was 3 nites of hell but all is good.
    as for the breastfeeding. drop the nap time nuirsing first and then the night time
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• piwife. u make weaning sound easy. just drop it? how? when she is tapping your chest and crying?
    heatmac4

Comment by heatmac4 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• With my son I just slowly weaned. Its easier that way. I would take out one feeding at a time. His favorite was bed time. (Putting him to sleep) Then I would give him a tippy of water. Having that liquid made him feel like he was still having the routine of BF. While doing this I took his binkey from him during the day completely. I only let him use it for naps and bed time. Then just bed time. Then just enough for him to fall asleep and I would take it. It only took a week or so for him to get the idea. Once it was a set schedule he never even noticed that I took the binkey. Be sure to throw them out once your at that point, my son was weaned off of them but saw one several months later and tried it again. I threw them away right then lol. As for the BF I would stick with the one session at bed time, and pretty soon ( about ten days) he would sleep with out nursing. I kept giving the water tho.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i Agree just drop them both, i know your child will be crabby and NOT happy but within a few days-week you will be ok, its just going to be a rough week!
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• cold turkey is the fastest easiest way... it will take a few days but when its gone its gone
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree cold turkey for either works best. This said I wouldn't take both away for her at the same time. That is too many of her comforts gone at once. You will have a much more difficult time if you do it this way.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If it were me I would wean from the breast feeding first, that way she stll has the comfort of the paci. You can later start weaning from that as well, or go cold turkey. As for how to wean from the breast feeding when she clearly wants it, I don't know, but I wish you luck. Maybe still lay with her and cuddle while she has a sippy or her paci and then put her down to sleep, that way she still gets special time with you she just isn't nursing.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Not sure about the nursing, but I've had some advice with weening from the binky. I was to cut the tip off of the binky every few days slowly until its gone around 18 months, guess it works like a charm. That is my intention. I guess they'll still suck on it as it goes away, but once its gone its gone. I think cold turkey is cruel to both you and the kiddo.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 6:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• it wanst easy but well just let her cry. it tool me 3 yrs to get rid of it and 3 nutes of hell.we cosleep. so either you do it cold turkey or just have her wen when she wants and risk teeth problem your choice. alot of things about parenting arent east. i have 2 kids i think o know what am talking about
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010