Does your view of an after life influence how you view things such as death penalty, abortion & suicide?

I'm not generally a "fan of death" so don't take this to be me doing a "YEAH DEATH" post or anything...

But, I truly believe my beliefs about the afterlife are the greatest influences on my beliefs surrounding DP, Abortion & Suicide... However I can see how a different view of the afterlife could bring about a different overall view of these things... So I wonder how and if the beliefs correlate for others...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not believe in afterlife and that does not affect my views on any of the above.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No not really. I base my opinions off of my view of suffering during life.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't believe in an afterlife, but I can honestly say that the thought of that never entered my mind when it came to my views on any of the issues you mentioned.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No.

However........ I don't really view f any of those issues from a religious standpoint though.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i did not abort my baby like people wanted me to because my beliefs on the afterlife was a big influence in my decision.. i.e. i didn't want God to hate me for aborting.
    Anonymous

• Okay, so your views of the afterlife for yourself was what affected your decision then? That's an interesting twist on what I was thinking.. But a great answer! Keep em coming!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am a Christian and believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe in the death penalty, and pro-life for me and even though I don't want others to have abortions, I will never judge someone for that. That is between them and God. As for suicide, I really am torn and don't really have a firm opinion of that yet.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That's a really interesting question, i never thought about the link before. Yes, I guess that is what affects my views. Pro-life, because there is still a soul in that baby. Of course not pro-suicide but don't believe you will go to hell for it. That's not in any sacred book, just in religious tradition. Not sure about my view on the death penalty. I guess that would have to make me anti-death penalty, because it shouldn't be in my hands whether a person should die or not.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 2:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I try not to let my personal faith cloud my judgment on these issues.

I am pro-choice because I believe each woman should make the decision for herself on whether to continue with a pregnancy or not. It is NOT for the government or the church to make that decision. I am not naive and I know an abortion stops a potential life from fully developing but that does not change my opinion.

Pro-death penalty as long as it has been proven that that person is the one that committed the crime. I don't like the fact that when they are sentenced to death the average stay on death row is 15 to 20 YEARS. That is why it is not the deterrent it used to be. It is not used like it was. No one is afraid of the death penalty.

Suicide is the ultimate selfish act but I do understand when the person is in constant pain and there is no hope for relief but death.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• hmm i dont really know. i believe in an afterlife, but its one that most everyone goes to.

the pain that is involved in the decisions of suicide and abortion...i just dont think God sees them the black & white way we do. but for the death penalty you have to do something fairly horrible and while i believe God will give them the punishment they deserve, its hard not to be pro-death penalty when its someone who did unspeakable things. but for the most part im against the dealth penalty b/c its not my place to say who should live and who should die...so i guess my faith plays a part, but not my view of the afterlife.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010