Why does my son act like such a baby?

My son is eight, intelligent, and quite outgoing. However, he freaks out if I leave his sight when we're out! Not long ago we got separated in a store and he started screaming and crying for me and running around hysterically! It was so embarassing! Even at home, if I walk to the mailbox without telling him I'm going outside, I'll come in to find him in tears and on the verge of hyperventilation! I know this is not normal, and I don't know how to deal with it. He's fine at school, church, friends' homes, etc. What could be going on with him?

Philyra

Asked by Philyra at 5:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Play hide and seek with him! Then maybe talk about what happens if you ever do get separated and roll play with dad so he can practice. Meaning, have dad be store worker or security etc.. one of those fun phases!
    aussiegirl3

Answer by aussiegirl3 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• A parent just vanishing into thin air is enough to make any child scared. I think you need to talk to him and see if there is something that is causing him to be scared of being alone. Try telling him when you go to the mailbox. And being embarassed when your child gets scared for thinking they are lost, that is wrong on so many levels for you to feel that way.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 6:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I don't think its wrong to feel embarassed "on so many levels" if your kid acts out in a store. We all have those moments..
    aussiegirl3

Answer by aussiegirl3 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Let me clarify what I meant I think it is wrong to be embarassed for your child being scared. Everyone does have those moments where your children embarass you for throwing a fit or misbehaving but being embarassed because your child is scared yes that is wrong.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 6:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I was not embarassed that he was scared. I was embarrased that he went to pieces and ran through the store instead of looking one aisle over where I was standing. He's been told what to do if we get separated, but he always panics and has a major melt-down.
    Philyra

Answer by Philyra at 12:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• He may have extreme anxiety that you may need to have checked. Has he seen or witnessed something in the news or movies that may have frightened him?
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008