3 year old with a social verbal delay.....

My 3 year old is struggling his first year of preschool. He is accelling in the academic portions of school, letter, numbers, ect. However, he is struggling socially. His teacher (and I) believe that he is getting frustrated because he lacks "social conversations". He doesn't seen to know how to express himself and his wants to other children. He talks... a lot. He just seems to be lacking the social conversations (Can I play with you? ect ect...)

I am worried. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Do you believe that he is just behind because he stayed home with me ( he is my oldest ) and was lacking in the social skills from not interacting with other children until now??

Help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in

• That sounds a little Asperger-ish. Honestly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son was a little socially backwards in Pre-School. He didn't really talk a lot, and as for social conversations...he bit people (but only once). Me and my husband talked with him and after a while of being exposed to the environment, he learned that if he was nice to people they would be nice back. It was just kinda trial and error for us + him not having a whole lot of friends until he learned to be nice first.
    TameraR

Answer by TameraR at 2:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As for the aspergers... nope. I have done substantial research on this as well as recently had a discussion with his pedi. No signs of Aspergers or any other spectrum disorder.........

Tamera - Thank you for your reply.... your story is almost exactly like ours. It's nice to know that there are others out there that got the hand of it! Spoke to his teacher today and she says he is improving and now has a "buddy" in his class that he has been playing with... so hopefully he is starting to get the hang of it. Thanks again!

Mommy_Foster

Answer by Mommy_Foster at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• At this age I would expect the teacher to guide the children to interact. They should not be left alone to figure this out. A good teacher will recognize who needs help and provide assistance. Rather than get all worried, perhaps you can look at this as a skill that needs work. It might make you feel better if you discuss this with your child's doctor. Also, I would want to be sure his hearing ok.
    Junemother2002

Answer by Junemother2002 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes she is working on using visual cues for him to help him learn the right words to use. Also, she did mention to check his hearing... he did have several back to back ear infections as a kid... so that probably is a great idea. Thanks~
    Mommy_Foster

Answer by Mommy_Foster at 2:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Don't blame yourself for keeping your child home with you. Give him time. He will become more social.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I frequently work with child who have social delays. It seems to vary in levels with children who have this difficulty. Some don't make good eye contact, don't know the words to say to get into the "play" or how to ease themselves into it, so have sensory issues and either touch and lean or children or avoid being close. All of thoe variables can cause a child great difficulty. Sadly, it's not something that just goes away. What happens is that most kids just stop trying to have friends and can become a bit of a loner, and other's become a little aggressive (knocking down what kids are building) because they are angry and want to be included. Many children are on the outskirts of play and don't really get noticed by the pre school teachers because other children demand more attention. I have been working with a chlld with this problem for a few months. He needs one on one while interacting with others.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

Next question in
Does anyone know of a

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Can any chair have slip covers?