free grants

hi does anyone know how i can get a free grant so i can go back to school, i want to go back as soon as possible but i must of took out a loan when i was a teenager and i only owed 2,500 but now they want 9,600 but will take 5,21 if i pay all at once. I need to go back to schhol so i can help raise my 6yr old and give him a better life. the webs on grant on the computer just want money and i don't trust them so please let me know what i can do .

dawn1644

Asked by dawn1644 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in

• You can go to your local library and they have books that you can sit and look at for pulling grants and scholarships. The problem with most of them is that they are either ethnically based, career based, or both. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• go to www.FAFSA.gov that will tell you how to apply for your federal pell grants. You will need to have last years tax return when you fill it out. You can start it and save it if you can't finish it all at once. The password they give you is your lifetime password, so make sure you do not misplace it!! It is very hard to recover it if you do!! I know - I almost had to give a dna sample!! jk - but seriously, that's where I would start. Next, I would contact the financial dept of the school you intend to attend. They will tell you who to contact for other loans and grants that THEY work with. Make sure you keep copies of EVERYTHING and read the fine print. Watch out for Sallie Mae - they are not someone I would recommend. GL and congrats on furthering your education!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• ALL grants are free. First you need to have applied to a school, then you have to fill out the FAFSA, which is the federal application for financial aid and ALL school require it . It is NOT a grant, loan, etc. It is what the federal government says what you should pay, and how much you MAY be eligible for including loans. ALL student loans are now done through the government because loan companies were not doing their jobs properly. You can also try www.fastweb.com and www.scholarships.com GOOD LUCK!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• thanks everyone who gave me this info i really am glad i joined this club its been great thanks again everyone who sent info on how to get a grant.
    dawn1644

Comment by dawn1644 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010