when to start potty training?

our son will be two in december... he is a little intersted in the potty we have gotten him to go in it a few times but we dont push it.... when will it be time to be on it all the time... like always asking him and taking him to it? i have heard around 3

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Most importantly, the child has to be physiologically and emotionally ready to potty train. So, if you try it and he doesn't take well to it, just stop and try again later.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I waited until my kids were 3. This worked out really well for me. It only took a few days to be completely trained. I once heard that if you start at 2, training takes a year. If you start at 3, training takes a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have always heard boys (and it was the same with my son) start potty training at age 3. Obviously kids are different, but it is common
    Massey2

Answer by Massey2 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• when they show some interest. my son was going around the age of two and then we moved and he stopped. :( i am not pushing him tho since he is only 2.5 now. i am hoping closer to 3 from what i have heard.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 4:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My dd is 2 1/2. We have had the little potty out for a while and shes peed in it a few times because I sit her on it when im on the toilet, but we have not really pushed training. I have always waited till closer to 3 because by then you can just say "put the pee in the potty" and they will LOL (ok, not quite that easy, but close LOL)

DD is going to have her "big girl" graduation soon LOL We are shopping around for a big girl bed, and we will start working on the potty when shes out of the crib. No point in teaching her not to pee in her pants if shes going to be stuck in a crib all night and not able to get up to go.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• my daughter was a week shy of 2 yrs old when she became fully potty trained, she now is 25 months old and doesnt have any accidents. I dont even put pull ups on her at night, she just potty's before bed...and even wakes up in the middle of the night to go potty if she has to.
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 4:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2010