The unwed using terms like "my hubby"

Does it annoy the heck out of anyone else when boyfriend/ girlfriend couples refer to each other as "hubby" or "wifey"? Or when people talk like a marriage or long term relationship is not a big deal?

First case scenerio, my own sister. A couple of times she has referred to my husband (10 years) as my boyfriend. I correct her and she says it's the same to her. She's single and "commitment" to her has lasted about a year on average.

Second, my brother in law's girlfriend. They've been dating for a year and have not made any marriage plans. She refers to me as her sister in law. I can't stand it.

I think I get offended by it because I have put a lot of time, patience, love, sacrifice, growth, EVERYTHING into my marriage. Wife is an earned title damn it. LOL ;)

BTW, I don't want any long term but no marriage ladies out there to be offended. :) Not about that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• nope, why do I care what someone else calls their significant other?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I never heard this before.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes, it annoys me when couples that haven't been together very long do that. A year isn't very long. But I know a few couples that have been together longer than other couples I know have been married and they refer to themselves as that (usually jokingly) and it doesn't bother me, because they more or less are.
    Anonymous

• that drives me nuts too!! my husbands friends do it all the time with their girlfreinds and I am usually quick to inform them that it takes alot more paperwork to get rid of the flavor of the week if she is actualy your 'wifey'
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i dont like it when people call my SO my husband because we are not married... or some of the other ones you listed but i dont really mind if its other people calling them selves any of those i just want my title to be clear... i just feel embarased when i have to correct them because then they think that im married and im not
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 3:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i think that if they have been together and live, act and feel married then there is nothing wrong with it...of the TRUE feelings are there then i am nobody to judge or be offended about it...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think it is appropriate but it doesn't bother me enough to correct them.. being legally bound to a person is different than committing to them verbally.... telling someone that you will give them 500 bucks is different than If I sign a contract stating that I will give them 500 bucks no matter what.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 3:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• It got on my nerves that a co-worker of mine would call her bf her husband. Even a few ppl would be confused and say, "I didn't know you were married." LOL
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 3:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have a friend who has been with her bf for a LONG time, they own a home together and have a son, they are not married, but they refer to eachother as husband and wife. It doesn't bother me, but I tend to notice it every time she says it...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i actually use these terms me and my man been together for 6yrs now so i feel married :) but if they have been together for less than 2 yrs yes it pisses me off def
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 3:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010