when you home school, how do you choose your curriculum?

my kids are just starting school, and i am finding school to be a big disappointment. I first found out that our school (we rank very high in the state) only follows the state curriculum. Now I have found that our state curriculum is ranked at the bottom. How do you set your standards?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I looked at the state curriculum, (you could look at a state with a high rating) just to make sure that I covered everything that my kids would need for college. Then I put together my own curriculum. I made sure that we covered English, Math, etc., it was fun to pick projects, books and subjects that they might not have studied in school. When my youngest was in 2nd grade, we did a semester of dinosaurs for science. We used books, museum field trips, and some special projects that I found doing research. My older son was doing 4th grade, and did the same science with us, although I might give him some more challenging projects, and would expect more out of reports etc.

You can use homeschool programs, I enjoyed putting their curriculum together myself, and spent the summer working on that. Good Luck! By the way, my boys are both in college, and the youngest started college at 15....he's now 18.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I did a lot of research on homeschooling styles and then pieced together and even designed a curriculum that would best suit that style and my son's needs. A lot of homeschoolers do not use a formal curriculum. There are so many resources available on the Internet that a curriculum would certainly not be required. Also, there are religious and secular options that one may need to take into consideration.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• ohwrite I know of some very successful home schooling moms! you must be so proud! my dh is very anti home schooling, so it may take me a while to help him see other possibilities. I have an infant and 2 yo twins right now, so home schooling may be easier for us in a year or two. Thank you so much for your reply!
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010