Do I have to give my baby the father's last name if we arre not together? and if not, if I put his name on the birth certificate, does that change it?

kaylester

Asked by kaylester at 3:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No you can have your babys father on the birth certificate and the baby can have a different last name. If the father isn't going to be in the baby's life then I see no wrong with the baby having the mothers last name but if the father is in the babys life then the baby should have the fathers last name
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, you can name your child whatever you want.... you could even give a different last name altogether if you felt like it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• you can name your kid whatever you want. my sis is married but not with her husband and had a kid with another man. she did not want my nephew to have either mans last name so she gave him her maiden name. since shes going to get a divorce and go back to her maiden name.
    heather-bear

Answer by heather-bear at 3:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i agree you can put what ever name you want on there.

in most states if your not married you can't put the father on the birth certificate.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 3:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Do what you feel is right. If the baby's father is going to be in the child's life, I think the child should have the father's last name, and I think he should be on the birth certificate.. Just my opinion.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• it can be whatever you want it to be. My DS's birthparents named him with his moms last name even though dad was on the BC
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You can name Baby whatever you like. You need to check your local laws about the name on the birth certificate and what it is exactly that you're concerned about there. :) Here you can't just put a father's name unless you're married. The man has to watch an informational video on his own rights and consent to being on the certificate. It's short and sweet, but does have to be done.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You can give your child any last name you want including one that is completely unrelated to either parent (I know a couple who combined their names into a completely new one for their children). Each state is different about the birth certificate and what his name being on it entails.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My DH and I were not married when we had our first baby and they would not let me give our son his fathers last name. He wAs listed as my sons father, but we had to file for a legal name change to have his name the same as his fathers.
    momof4crzykidos

Answer by momof4crzykidos at 7:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• you can name your child whatever you want HOWEVER... fathers can petetion to have their last name added if/when they est. paternity.
    You CANNOT put the fathers name on there w/o his signiture (at least not in the 2 states I've lived in).
    I was not married to my dd and ds father... I decided to give them a hyphenated last name... his chick on the side had a son by him as well she gave Lil J bio dad's last name....
    it may also depend on the state.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010