Why Has She Stopped?

My 3 year old dd has stopped eating dinner. I though tit was a phase, but she hasn't eaten dinner in about 2-3 months. I don't know what to do. I just keep offering it to her in hopes she will eat, but I don't try to force her.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son rarely eats it either. If she is not hungry, then she has probably had enough at that point. They won't go hungry. Don't worry about it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• is she eating too close to dinner? filling up on milk?

my ds is almost 5 and 9 nights out of 10 he doesn't eat anything past when I pick him up from daycare @ 5
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My kids were eating snacks late and drinking too much juice.. cut back on that and it may get better.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My DS is also not a great dinner eater.

He eats a good breakfast and a good lunch so I don't worry about it too much.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Are you feeding her too many snacks? Or snacks or snacks too late in the day? 2 or 3 months is way too long!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Many of the families that I work with have the same problem so you're not alone! Just make sure what you feed her during the day is healthy food. Two hours before dinner you may want to cut out all food and only allow water or extremely diluted juice. At least you're trying to give her some time to get hungry! But, I'm sure your pediatrician will tell you that many kids are just not eaters or will go through stages. It's all normal! The most important thing to avoid is talking to her about eating. Begging her to eat. Telling her why it's important to eat, etc Periods of not eating is a typical toddler behavior. If you give it too much attention, she will see the power and control she has. Attention seeking behavior is a bigger headache than skipping dinner!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My dd does this sometimes with her dinner. If they aren't hungry they aren't hungry. Make sure she's not filling up on milk or juice or snacks an hour before dinner and that you aren't offering late night snacks instead that she may favor over dinner (unless it's fruits or veggies or something equally healthy), otherwise I wouldn't stress too much abou tit.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• ya is there not hungry there not hungery...some times for weekd my daughter who is 4 will only eat cearel for dinner..or only eat the vegies on her plat for weeks..she knows her body best. just make sure is getting her vitamens and id staying hydrated and is eatting other meals.
    Anna Bananerz W.

Answer by Anna Bananerz W. at 9:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2010