Do you think it's harder to be a male or female?

I think there are things that are harder to deal with in both genders, but I actually think it's harder for boys than girls. Yes, girls get a lot of pressure to look and act a certain way, but girls can be accepted as "tom boys", but if a boy is sensitive he is a "sissy" or "gay".

Think about it... we are so determined to make our boys into masculine men that we start directly at birth being rough with them. For example, cicumcision. You would never think to mutilate a girls genitalia, but it's ok to do a boy because he's a boy.

I know people that have sons and don't seem to care that they are walking about all bruised and banged up.... because boys will be boys right? Now if that was a girl if would be a different story.

Look at Teen Mom and how no one said anything about Amber punching Gary in the head, he is suppose to take it because he is a guy right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I dont know where you came from lady.... but I have yet to meet someone who doesnt think that amber chic needs a good ass beating...

and I personally think it's harder being a female.....

I'm a "tom boy" and I have had to work twice as hard in my athletic field to even get a second look.... im a personal trainer and it took me yearssss to get respect from my male co workers and to get the same pay rate...
    my husband calls me supermom because I work, started my own nutrition book, run my own website, compete in fitness compeititons, kick my ass in the gym daily, raise twins and started going back to school...

my husband couldnt do that EVER! lol
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it is hard being human....
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 3:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think life is easy for anyone. We all have challenges, men or women. Each gender has it's own challenges.

As far as being rough and hitting etc., I have 3 sons. I would be very upset to hear that any of their girlfriends hit them or got physical with them. It's not okay to get physically violent with anyone....and it happens to both men and women. It's NEVER okay.

Girls often have body image issues...we start at a very young age teaching them they have to look and act a certain way, just as we teach boys to hide their feelings. None of these things are healthy or easy for either side.

What would be really nice, is if we taught our kids just to respect and appreciate each other and embrace the things we have in common....and the differences.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• By far I think it's harder to be female. We are automatically looked at as weaker, seen as property, assumed to be less intelligent and less educated... Plus we have more assumed responsibilities - taking care of children, house, husband - even if we work...

Men on the other hand have more assumed power, strength, rights and intelligence and beyond an income have very few responsibilities which are expected of them...

This is why we had to - and still have to- fight for women's rights...

Now, on issues like abuse, no one should be expected to just "take it" no matter their gender. But the sheer number of women being abused over men being abused does kinda create a "trump" situation for most. Also because men tend to be less willing to say they are being abused than women are, it comes down to the idea of "there's no crime without a victim."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Men are expected to be strong and manly and provide support for the family. Make war, be conquers (sp). Don't cry, don't show emotion or you are weak! They aren't supposed to be the one to stay home and raise the kids ... it's "unmanly". Be masculine. Screw as many women as possible!!

Women are expected to be weaker, dependent on the male, nurturing, yadda yadda yadda. Women are thought of as less intelligent, their opinions are "cute". Women are emotional basket cases and hormonal. Okay, I'll agree with the hormonal ... LOL. Women are supposed to be alluring all the time. Be feminine/virginal all the time.

I get the "evil eye" because I do not like kids and only had one. However, I do not like and will not tolerate children, animals, or the elderly being abused. My hubby was the nurturing one. Wasn't me.

Until we move away from out-dated stereotypes, both sexes are going to have it hard. Sorry for rambling.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Right now I think its harder on men because the economy is in the tank and many high wage earning men I know are underemployed or unemployed. For whatever reason, the men put it on themselves to be the provider so when things get upside down they take it to heart. In general, through history- I think women have had more struggles than men.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Being a girl is much easier.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I certainly wouldnt want to be a man. But I'm sure my husband wouldnt want to be a woman either.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't know... I have a son, and I didn't feel the need to 'toughen him up' from birth- far from it! I don't treat him any differently in that regard than the girls in that regard. I've never understood the whole 'men don't cry' attitude and it irks me when anyone tries to pull that on my kids.

I have no idea what it's like to be a man- I haven't been one! I do think that there is a gender disparity in terms of housework (with women doing more) and in terms of salaries (with men on average making higher salaries.) To me that would suggest that women have it harder, because as a collective we are doing more for less money.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• What women get to deal with: PMS, periods, cramping, bloating, body image, painful sex, morning sickness, charliehorses, hemmoroids, leaking nipples, miscarriages, contractions, labor pain, childbirth, tears, episiotomies, C-sections, breastfeeding, child-rearing, house-cleaning, cooking, emotional abuse, physical abuse, verbal abuse, rape, incest, sexism, being paid less then men for the same job, generally being considered as a weaker, second-class part of society.

What men get to deal with: Being horny.

And women live longer! So I'd say life is tougher for us in most cases, and we STILL have a longer life expectancy. And men are "the tough ones"? My DH might have been able to deal with the same pain during childbirth that I did, but he would have whined a lot more!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010