i have daughter thats 8 and is a bit overweight how sholud i control her eating habits without hurting her feelings

my daughter is 8 yrs old and is a bit overweight she like s to snack a lot at night and i have tslked to her and told her that i want her to be healthy and eating so late at night is bad for her. i dont want to traumatiza her about her weight but i want her to be able to do what other kids do. she has to run laps in school and tells me she is always the last one and asks why mommy? it breaks my heart!!!! i work and my mother in law babysits and ive told her to not feed her pop and sugary stuff and try to limit her servings but obviously she is not listenin. any advice on how to talk to my daughter without hurting her feelings?

vira78

Asked by vira78 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is she snacking on? If it's junk food, just don't buy the junk food. You can try keeping her busy so she doesn't have time to get bored and turn to snacks. You can monitor her better and not let her get into the snacks. Have family fun time and play kickball, take the dog for a walk, go swimming. Also, leading by example is key. If she sees you eating healthy foods, she will be more likely to follow that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't know what to do about your MIL, but, at home, stress "healthy" eating, not "dieting". My daughter has always been a little overweight for her height, and we never talk about weight, we just talk about which foods are healthy and which are not, and that we can't have too much of the unhealthy food. We also try to get her to exercise in addition to PE at school; we take walks and try to keep her involved in sports.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Don't make it about weight. Make it about health and healthy eating. Never tell her she's fat and when she goes for an unhealthy snack suggest fruit or something else and tell her about eating healthy to not get sick, not getting thinner.
    Anonymous

• I agree, do not make it about weight, make it about healthy living. Get her active and don't bring all that junk into the house. Also you need to have a SERIOUS discussion with your MIL about the snacks your kids are allowed to have. Make sure there are plenty of healthy options in the house. Also, get her active with you, take her walking or biking, have some mom-kid time. Also, when she talks about being the last one to do laps, explain to her that you can help her by practicing with her and that the more walking, etc., she does outside of school, the faster she'll get with those laps. But PLEASE, do this NOW, do not wait. It will ruin her self-esteem if you wait until she gets to middle school. Those girls are BRUTAL to each other and she'll really suffer. Also, it gets harder and harder to form those good habits as we get older so get her started right now. Good luck!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010