Boyfriend wants custody

Before our child was conceived BF told me he would pay for everything and our child would not be on welfare. I did tell him that I could not contribute and he said that would be ok. Now he is taking me to court and going to say that I'm finanially unable to take care of our child and is seeking custody. Would the judge not allow this since he did promise me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in About CafeMom

• The judge will want him to come in with pay stubs to make sure your getting your 20% of his take home pay. He cant take your kid away because you dont have the financial stability he does. Apply for aid and welfare or whatever it is called these days and WIC too.....Did you get his promise in writing? A Verbal promise wont stand up in court if he says he never said such a thing. Do what you can before court to show the judge your doing everything you can to support the baby. It this guy is making 40K a year 20% of that is enough to support you and the baby, and child support does not count as YOUR income so you should still be able to get Aid.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Unfortunatly if you don't have any income then your boyfriend could get custody. The judge won't care what you were promised. All he/she will care about is whether you are financially able to care for you child.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 1:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• If he paid you child support you'd have SOME money...not much though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yes, he is now paying child support, but it's not much - I still need some assistance.
    Anonymous

• They can't take your baby away just b/c you're poor... if you're living in a cardboard box, that would be different. He will have to prove that he's been paying you, but that still won't be enough for sole custody. Do you have a job? Take advantage of all the things the government can offer, but if you're not working, you should be. It's not easy, but as a single mom, you really need to make sure you do everything you can to take care of that baby. Good luck to you!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2008