Can't stop overreating, what is wrong with me??

I've always loved food, but always stayed thin. I had a limit to the weight gain before I would stick to a diet plan and lose it all. I never had any problem losing weight. With my first pregnancy, i gained 50 pounds. 4 months after delivery, I lost it all. No problem. The second pregnancy I gained 50 pounds again, and have lost 20 of it in the past 4 months but I'm now gaining some back. I'm MISERABLE. I just can't control my cravings. No, I'm not breastfeeding so that can't be it. My moods are all over the place, my cravings are incredibly strong, and I've had some swelling come and go. I'm so depressed about this weight, and I don't know how to stop it! Please, any advice or anyone who can shed light on any speculation as to why I'm feeling this way, please respond. I feel like I"m out of options.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• maybe your hormones are really just out of whack still and this can be very normal.. talk to your doctor as each pregnacy is different and changes us in different ways...good luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Stay hydrated and active, don't let yourself get bored. Try to stay rested so you aren't eating to stay awake (that's usually my problem). It also sounds like you might have an underlying issue, have you talked to your doctor? They might have some insight into why you feel the way you do and may be able to give you a solution to it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Depression can cause you to chronically overeat, and the effects of the overeating can cause you to feel more depressed which causes you to eat even more. Hormones can also cause cravings. It may be that your body is still recovering from your second pregnancy, or the pregnancy could have thrown other hormones out of whack. If your thyroid is not functioning correctly, that can make weight loss more difficult and it also affects your appetite. The older you get the harder it becomes to lose weight, so that could be part of it too. I lost weight very quickly after my first child, but it's been much more challenging the second time around.  If things don't level out soon see your doctor and be sure to mention ALL of your symptoms including the depression.  GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry that you feel so bad, I truly understand how you feel because I struggle with this issue myself. About 3 months after I had my daughter I got really depressed because I'd gained so much weight and I couldn't control my binge eating. I felt like food was the only thing that I could turn to. It's so hard to stop eating, especially because food tastes so good. I found that being bored triggered my emotional eating and it made me feel worse about myself, so I ate more.

I think it would be good for you to find some type of support group like Overeaters Anonymous so that you can feel better about yourself, and try to get out the house more, you'll feel better. I still have a long way to go and it takes time and patience, but we'll get there. Don't beat yourself up because it'll only make you feel worse. You can do it and good luck to you, I wish you the best.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Have your thyroid checked.... also try eliminating corn syrup it seems to be everything and is addictive.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010