when should i first take my toddler to the dentist?

and just out of curiousity, how in the world do they actually get into the young kids mouths without them being sedated? lol It's a fight to brush teeth each day.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 3:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My childrens pediatrician always told me to take them as soon as they get their first tooth. I personally waited until they had a couple and their teeth are fine. It usually is a little bit of a fight to see in their mouth, but childrens dentists are used to it and do a really good job.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yeah! They r used to getting bit!!!! alot!!!!
    Anonymous

• We took our son for the first time shortly after he turned two. Most dentists say after the first tooth or around one year, and our pediatrician said to do it by age 3. I decided to split the difference and take him for his first visit at age 2. We started using a toothbrush a couple times a day as soon as he has his first teeth. They did not do x-rays or anything like that this first time. They cleaned his teeth with a soft brush and looked for any problems. He liked their waiting area with the games, but he did not like them messing with his teeth. I thought it would be good to get him used to the idea of going sooner rather than later though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As a former dental assistant in a General Practice we would start seeing children around age 2 or 3 ---unless they had a problem/pain. It is not uncommon for the child to be a bit apprehensive and the 1st visit just be a "meet the dentist and see the stuff in the room" (meaning no actual exam, xrays, cleaning done). You may also want to consider starting your child out at a children's dentist office- they cater to children and are used to working with children.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't take them until they are at least almost 3, (my opinion.) If you have a really good dentist like we do, and he can't get into his mouth the child will probably be put in the hospital for "day surgery". That is where you will report to, however it is just to look in the child's mouth. Do whatever he does. Our's knows how to talk to our kids, especially our daughter. Don't let it scare you. Be there in case the child needs you and make sure to tell them how proud of them you are. As they grow up, they will either like or dislike the dentist. I hope this helps.
    akamomof275847

Answer by akamomof275847 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i was told by a ped. dentist to go about 1 yr. but i couldn't because there was such a wait so i made another appointment and still we are waiting but i am not canceling this time. my daughter will be 20months when she goes to the dentist for the first time. my regular dentist doesn't see children until 4yrs so i had no choice but to go to a ped. dentist. but you could always wait.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Our pediatrician said to go at 3. You definitely want to go to a pediatric dentist. They're great at dealing with the kids. My son also hated having his teeth brushed at home so I was dreading the visit. However, the dentist was great with him. He cried through the exam part a bit but was ok with the cleaning and the floride treatment. i was surprised at how well it all went.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010