How can i get my 3 year old daughter to sleep in her bed? adult content

My daughter has slept with me since she was born. I breastfed her for 2 years and it was just easier to have her with me. Now im married and feel like her sleeping in my bed is not allowing me to get the sleep i need and of course get intimate. Whenever i try to get her bed she sits there and will cry nonstop until i allow her back into my bed. ITs very frustrating and i feel that if shes in her own bed she will become a little more indepenedent with other things.

hyna17

Asked by hyna17 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You kind of just have to stay strong and let her cry it out. Try sitting by her bed with her until she falls asleep and every night move a little farther away until you aren't in the room anymore. It will be gradual, but eventually she will sleep in her own bed.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Thanks i just needed more assurance that lettng her cry is ok.
    hyna17

Comment by hyna17 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• You could try letting her fall asleep in your bed and then move her to her own room. Then when she gets comfy waking up in her own bed you can try putting her to bed in her room at night. My daughter is almost 5 and trust me I know how hard it is. She is allowed to sleep in our room on the weekends but that is all. We had to make some rules and she cried and was not happy but now as she has gotten older she understands that her room is her room and our room is our room. She also has stopped coming into our room in the night. Unless she has a bad dream or something she stays in her own bed during the week. Good luck, I am pregnant with my second and this baby is going to be put in the crib (that is my plan anyway) it is easier to breastfeed in bed but I am going to try to do it different this time. ; )
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Many of the parents that I work with have similar problems. The more she cries and screams, and then gets her way, she has just learned to scream/cry louder and longer and then it will work. First of all, you have to decide if you're ready to do it. If you're not and try it for awhile, then let her get back in your bed, you have taught her to be more persistent! If you're ready to do it no matter what it takes then it will work. You could try walking her back to her bed when she comes in. If you don't talk to her or even look at her, that may work. It does with some kids. You may be getting up 15 times in one night but then each night is less. You could then get a pressure gate and put it up on her door. Tell her that if she gets up you will put the gate up. If she stays in her bed, the gate if off. Often just the thought of the gate works! Otherwise put the gate up and let her cry it out. Hard for mom but it works
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010