What to cook for those that have lost someone?

Someone I know just lost their child. What would you cook to help the family out? It is wife/husband & 2 kids under age 5...

I am not much of a cook! So im really at loss, but they have expressed this is something that could help the wife while she is unable to cook.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Ham slices, mac and cheese, green bean casserole, fresh vegetables and dip (carrots, broc)
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• A casserole or soup...That is very nice of you to think of them!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 4:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I know the title of this sounds bad but thats what its called and I dont know anything else to call it but its really good and children love it

Funeral Potatoes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I would take kid friendly food. Spaghetti and meatballs, mac & cheese with grilled chicken, taco meat with a pkg of flour toritllas and cheese.

I would also maybe offer to come by and just keep the younger kids entertained so she can relax in the tub and have a break.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Any casseroles that can be frozen. I have a few at home just send me a message if you want the recipies and i'll send them to you asap
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That is so very thoughtful! After my dad's funeral my neighbors sent us over some ham and a pie. It was HIGHLY appreciated!
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 4:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Any quick type of casserole they can just heat up and eat. Id make something simple and yummy that is an easy clean up. Lasagna, this chicken and rice casserole with cream of mushroom or chicken soup, stroganoff. And maybe some garlic bread on the side :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That's so sad and so kind of you to help out.
    In my experience people who grief usually don't have a lot of appetite. So if I were you I'd make it easy. Ask them wether there are dishes they DON'T like or are allergic to and then cook anything besides this.
    Set up the table nicely and hope for the best, because there IS going to be an empty seat.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Keep in mind that people get bombarded with food the first few days...when my mom died my dad got so much food in the first week he didn't know what to do with it all, much of it went bad. About 2 weeks after my mom died a good friend of mine brought him a batch of home made chicken soup, the timing was perfect because by then everyone had gone back to their routine and my dad was on his own. If you want to bring it right away, I'd make something that can be frozen and heated later, like lasagna or stuffed shells or soup or something. They will be inundated with fruit baskets and sandwich platters, cakes, pies, etc...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Fruit salad
    Pasta salad
    Blueberry muffins or banana bread
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2010