Day care question..

This doesn't seem in any way fair to me, but I also see it from both sides, so I'm running it by all of you! :-)

My day care charges me a flat monthly rate. My DD is there approximately 30 hours a week, over 4 days, but can be there up to 45 hours a week over 5 days, and even then some if I have to work overtime or what have you (she's been there two years and has never been there more than 40 hours in one week).

Anyhow, because she charges me a flat rate, I asked her if she would still charge me the entire rate if I take a two week vacation (in Dec.) and she said yes. She will 1. to save my full time spot, and 2. because she thinks she should still get her monthly income, which she relies on, even if I decide to take vacation.

Is that fair?? It doesn't seem fair to me, BUT I could be wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• That is pretty normal the lady i used in california did the same and a friends day care lady did the same.. butttt when they take vacations we're screwed! having to find someone to watch our kids.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think this can go either way.

If I decide to take my kids out a day here or there I still have to pay for the full week, but after 6 months we were allowed to take them out for a full week vacation without paying to have our spot held.

My sister-in-law had to pay her provider during the provider's full week vacation, and she had to come up with alternative daycare for that week, which she also had to pay for. So, while your situation isn't great, there are some that are even worse.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• That's pretty standard. There should be something in your contract that indicates what the policy on vacation is. Most places do not allow you to not pay for vacation. Ours allows us to take a 1 week vacation and not pay when we give 2 weeks notice, but that's a rarity.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes it is fair. That is her source of income, and she is holding your SPOT over taking in someone elses child.

My home DCP charged me full rates when my DD was not there for x-mas break and spring break (I was a teacher). NOW when I had all summer off, she only charged me 1/2 my rate to hold my spot.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I think it sounds reasonable, and pretty normal.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Yes, that is fair and pretty normal for a daycare.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No, it doesn't seem fair unless you're in the daycare owner/baby sitter's spot. That's pretty standard practice.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Did you sign any paperwork that makes this so? My daycare made us sign contracts. I think there is a week for vacation after you have been there a year, but I would have to look.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 4:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010