pros and cons of wraps for newborns

I have 2 other children, one who will be turning 2 after my baby is born. My hands will be full, and I am hoping to find an easy comfortable and SAFE wrap to put my newborn in when i go shopping, etc. I dont plan on using it for the first couple of weeks. I dont plan on 'wearing' my baby.. I just want something easier than carrying the baby in a carseat when I go grocery shopping, etc..

I know there are worries with wraps like the Moby, ect.. because of the baby having possible restriced airway, head not being off the chest enough because of little to no neck strength so early on, etc... I am not a fan of over the shoulder slings because I have a very bad neck from an injury. Because I would not be wearing the wrap for a long amount of time anyways (1 hour tops,), I wonder what the safest way to go about this is?

ANy ideas?

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 4:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a Moby and had no issues with it. There is always a risk of suffocation with any wrap.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• As long as you are following the directions, the Moby wrap is perfectly safe. I also like BabyHawk Mei Tai Carriers.
    Remember, baby should always be close enough to kiss!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowTo/SafeBabywearing.htm

Before choosing a carrier/wrap/sling, please read the article above on safe baby wearing. That site also has info on choosing a carrier etc. As for me, I have found that a woven Moby-style wrap is best for any age. If used properly, the baby's head will be up next to your shoulder and they will not be curled into a dangerous position. Bag slings are the really dangerous ones- I was given one when DD was a newborn and hated it- I was constantly re-adjusting it, trying to keep her higher up and close to me, keep her from curling up, keep her from smothering on all the fabric. I stopped using it early on and made both a ring sling for when she was smaller and a wrap for as she got older. Both kept her right up where I wanted her, and she wasn't in any awkward positions at any point.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Go with the Moby wrap... very comfy and baby is secure :) I love mine!
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 8:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2010