Advice about my overactive son

Part A - My son is 4 and 1/2. He just started all-day k4. We had his first conference the other day. In a nutshell - he knows what he's supposed to know - he doesn't pay attention!
If he's not paying attention, how does he know what he's supposed to know?
Part B - He is an extremely active boy and in swimming twice a week. My mother says swimming is the last thing he should be doing, it's making him more hyper.

FamilyJewells

Asked by FamilyJewells at 5:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At that level in school the teacher is probably aware of the things your son knows just through his play. Her referring to not paying attention are probably more like things during circle time or other periods of quiet time. He's very young and still probably just wants to play. Try to find out what time she feels that he doesn't pay attention. Frequently teachers are quick to say ADHD, only to worry parents. I have found with the children that I work with, most of them that have difficulty paying attention are need needing more time to mature into the area of focus and attention. Read stories at home, see if his attention span increases over this school year.

The swimming is excellent for him! He needs a positive outlet to expend some of his energy. Always better to have a child use their energy in an appropriate area where they can build self esteem than getting into trouble for running all over the place!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you had him tested for ADHD?? I had it as a child and it was very hard to concentrate, yet I still passed through the whole school system without anyone knowing I had it.. I would think swimming would help with him being so active.. why should it be the last thing he should be doing?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• honestly, he might be too young to start K. As an educator I would suggest a parent to REALLY evaluate their child if they turn 5 after the beginning of the 1st day of school. Many boys have a very difficult time anyway wih sitting still and listening and if they are not ready it is even more difficult. There are many over diagnosis of ADHD because of this. Talk to his teacher and male the best descision for your son.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• agree with alisonastair.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010