Is Rape Impossible in Marriage? Leading Muslim Cleric Says Yes

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978601814

What do you think? This has sparked ridicule from many people.

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I can only image what the cleric would say if the wife went after the husband with a strap on. Would that be rape? They are in the "confines of marriage" right?  They would probably stone her or something.  I think some people use religion as a shield for things that should never be right, to me this is one of those cases.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, of course it's not... ANY time someone says no, and sex is forced, it's rape - married or not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I guess I understand why he said there couldn't be considering that by definition in his language rape has to do with adultry by force but in my opinion there can be rape within a mariage and it should be punished just as harshly as one outside of it
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Doesn't matter if you have a piece of paper that says your union is legal, if a woman says no and he does it anyway, it's rape.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't care if you are married or not, when a person (male or female) says NO and the other proceeds to force sex on them, it is RAPE.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Internationally speaking. Many countries do not aknowledge spousal rape. Much less have any laws against it. In fact, there are countries that actually have laws to the oppposite. The laws flat out dictate that there is no such thing as marital rape.

Here's the flipside. Not all women in the world believe/view that there is a such thing as spousal rape either. There are many women who view that their bodies do belong to their husband, and that since that is the case, she can not nor is she raped. Now, this belief/these thoughts aren't regulated to just one area of the world, one religion. The women who do think this way come from all over the world and are of all different stripes.

Whose to say they are wrong for believing that way? I personally am repulsed by it, but I can't say that these women are wrong in their feelings or beliefs. They have their reasons for feeling/believings as they do.. Just as I do.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• From my perspective rape can absolutey happen in a marriage.

BUT, in some other cultures when a woman becomes married that means she is her husbands sexual property. That is also why Muslim women cover their hair and faces, because a womans beauty is only allowed to be shown to her husband.

I'm not saying that I personally agree with this.... I'm saying that it's a totally different culture than ours.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I believe that when you "give yourself to a man" in marriage you are doing it freely not by force. So if he has to forcfully get it from me then it IS rape...IMO
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My personal views.

Yes.. Rape can and does happen in marriages.

As far as the Cleric who stated this and his religious affiliation. Many members, of many different religions, and even some non religious people, feel that rape does not happen within the confines of marriage. That once a couple is married and that marriage consumated, then the bodies of the spouses belong to the other. And as such, one can freely do as the wish with that body because it is in essence "Theirs".. I would also like to add that, in most cases, the belief of the "ownership" of a spouses body usually is a one way street, and I'm sure most here know which direction that street is going.. lol

Some states still have laws on their books stating that that spousal rape is not actually rape. And most states have different qualifiers for spousal rape and general rapse. Qualifiers that make spousal rape even harder to prove, charge and convict. Cont
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• rape : forcing of somebody into sex: the crime of using force somebody to have sexual intercourse with somebody
    So yeah, rape can be within a marraige. Just because you are in a legal agreement doesn't mean anything. No where on our documents does it say that you need to sleep with your husband and are required to do so. I think that in reference to the article, this isn't just an aspirin popping situation with a headache here and there, or being tired. Think about a drunk husband that gets upset...those exist. Think about a husband who has no respect for his wife...those exist too. I might be way off of the article because I didn't actually read it, but just my opinion
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 5:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010