What do you do when timeout and spankings dont work anymore?

My son is three and every since he turned three has been a terror! He refuses to listen anymore, he has become destructive. We tried timeout, spankings, taking toys and cartoons away. What is there left to do?

mrsmilander

Asked by mrsmilander at 5:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Time outs don't work for our 3yo either... As long as he can see what's going on he doesn't care... SO, we switched to "Corner Time" and it's a whole different world!

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My husband and I took a "Love and Logic parenting course and it is all about rephrasing things... our son is almost 3 but it seems like it could work..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son hates to be restrained so I do a sit on my lap time out. I put him on my lap, gently wrap my arms around him and hold him till time is up. We then talk about how to make better choices and what he should be doing.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 6:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• put him in his room and praise praise praise good behavior
    kina803

Answer by kina803 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We make our son stand in a corner..Sometimes he refuses so i stand with him and make sure he don't move..Its a minute per year of there age and it seems to work for us but remember that they do have very short memory's so it make take contant reminder and a few more times in the corner before they learn not to do something!
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 3:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I was having that problem until I discovered positive discipline by Dr. Jane Nelson. It does work.
    SLCBARNES

Answer by SLCBARNES at 12:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• focusing on what is causing the behavior in the first place. When does he act out? When he doesn't get his way? Well refocus his attention then. To him it's more about the attention he's getting than what he's focused on, and seeing how far he can push you. So redirect his attention to something else.

I also found that reading books and watching shows about emotions and how to deal with them, what they are etc, help A LOT. When a kid knows what emotions he is feeling, he's more likely to talk to you about these feelings. So when he's mad, ask him if he's mad, what made him mad, and what you can both do to make him happy again. Explain how his behavior makes you sad, and how he can help make you happy too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Basically, when they act out, stay calm. Sit down with them, and talk with them about their feelings. I know most nannie shows etc, say don't talk with a kid on time out, but immediately after time out we ALWAYS discuss what my DD did wrong, why it was wrong, and what she did, why she did it, etc etc. THe more she understands, the less likely it is to occur again.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010