On the plane with a toddler

I am traveling to washington dc with my one year old. He is sitting in the seat with me. Any tips on what to bring or neccessaties to make the plane trip easier? He is still breastfed can I cover up and fed a 1 year old? Just any advice would be awesome. Pack baby food on plane or buy it there? Thanks!!!

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before I even read your question my mind drifted to breastfeeding. It will be SOOOOO much easier since he is nursing. MAke sure he is nursing on take off and touch down to prevent ear popping. I always being my little ones lots of finger food snacks and a couple of their favorite toys. Make sure you have plenty of wipes and diapers in your carry on. Oh, and you can feed any child, any age, any where and you DO NOT have to cover up. There are laws in all 50 states protecting breastfeeding mums. <3
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 5:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I know from personal experience you can't take baby food on the plane. They through ours out for the entire trip we had to buy more it was a pain lol. Id bring books maybe paper and a few crayons favorite stuffed animal things like that. Good luck :)
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 5:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Whoever told you you can't bring baby food on the plane was wrong, you can bring any food or drink as long as it is for the baby and you are flying with a baby of course, lol. If they try to tell you to throw something out ask to speak to someone in charge and you know that you can bring food and drink for the baby.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 5:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If he is eating any kind of finger food snacks bring extra. My DIL packed twice as much as she would normally need and the flight was severely delayed. They used up all of the snacks. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• i have ALWAS brought babu food, snacks and milk for my DS on the plane. Never have we been questioned nd I have flown 4x in the last year. I would bring enough for the 1st day or 2 of your trip
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I am a fan of a portable dvd player, feeding on takeoff and landing and toys. I recommend getting 2 small new toys and opening/presenting them after takeoff. That will keep baby entertained for awhile. And please change diapers in the bathroom. There is typically a changing table in the front as the plane has recirculated air. :)

PS Have fun!! :)

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I travel with my son and I brought some cookies and a sippy cup for water. He was ok with it. He slept most of the time anyways.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son and I just took a plane ride from FL to TN. I kept him occupied. He LOVES spongebob .. so we got a portable DVD player with headset and he watched that. Also, bought apple juice and m&m's on the plane .. I'd suggest something like that .. maybe coloring book or something ... good luck!
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 10:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2010